Trim lowers, but doesnt raise (even with the trailer switch)

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice
Trim lowered fine, but it doesn't go back up, even using the trailer switch. As I was pushing the trailer switch, I could hear the solenoid clicking. I keep my boat stored inside at the marina, so I cant just run out to the driveway and jump from the battery to the blue to see if it raises.

Since it was clicking, I am assuming the fuse is ok. Since it went down, I am assuming the motor is ok. So the solenoid is likely to be the culprit. They can put my boat on a work rack, no problem, but I would prefer to fix it when I go, instead of having to going and trouble shooting, then having to go back later after getting the parts and fixing it - I dont mind having to, but would prefer less running around. Does it sound as if the solenoid is the problem, or are any of my above assumptions incorrect?

Thanks

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trim lowers, but doesnt raise (even with the trailer switch)

Could be just a bad connection - take 'em off & shine 'em up - I'd do that before buying unneeded parts for the sake of saving a trip or 2.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would sure help knowing the make, model, and year of what you have.

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice

It would sure help knowing the make, model, and year of what you have.

Ha, I guess I could have. 1994 Chaparral 2130 SST with a carb'd 5.7L mercruiser and an Alpha One Gen II sterndrive. As far as I know, its all original, none of it has ever been replaced or rebuilt.

Bondo

Staff member

Could be just a bad connection - take 'em off & shine 'em up - I'd do that before buying unneeded parts for the sake of saving a trip or 2.

Ayuh,..................

I Doubt you need Any New Parts,............
Sandpaper,+ a couple Wrenches otta do it........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, here is the online Merc manual for your drive, and trim.
Go to section 1C for the troubleshooting charts. If you can't test it with this information, take it to a dealer that can.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14notice.pdf

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice

I just went through this and replaced the solenoid. It cost me $28.00 from the local NAPA dealer through their marine line of parts called Sierra. Everything works fine and it took about twenty minutes to do. My solenoid clicked as well but would not raise the drive.

Jim

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

I keep my boat stored inside at the marina, so I cant just run out to the driveway and jump from the battery to the blue to see if it raises.

Just bypass the solenoid(s) that is bad. You can do this on the water if you have to...long screwdriver.