Trim limit switch adjustment MC1 -- A little help

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last thing to do on this boat project is adjust the trim limit switch. Have done it. Just not sure it's done correctly as the "out" switch by itself only brings the drive up from all the way bottomed out to about 1/3rd of the way up. To go higher than that have to use the "up" and the "out" switch together.

I was assuming the two switches didn't need to be used together until close to red area on the trim gauge. If that's not so I may be ok. Someone who actually knows what they're doing would be a big help here.

I've got the manual and following instructions that describe aligning the drive shaft housing to a point where its front edge is .75"-1" inside the gimbal ring. Must admit that description confuses me a bit though. Where on the drive shaft housing is the 3/4" to 1" measurement taken? It's at an angle compared to the gimbal housing so the depth varies.

If someone could explain in the most layman's of terms how I'll know how high or low to set the drive before setting the limit switch I'd feel much better about this. The old boat could go to the water tomorrow when this gets done. Last thing I'm just not comfortable with having correct.

Perhaps another way to go at this if I'm just too damn dumb to understand what may be simple illustrations to everyone else. Assuming the trim gauge is adjusted accurately where on the trim gauge scale would I open the circuit with the trim limit switch?

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim limit switch adjustment MC1 -- A little help

I've got the manual and following instructions that describe aligning the drive shaft housing to a point where its front edge is .75"-1" inside the gimbal ring. Must admit that description confuses me a bit though. Where on the drive shaft housing is the 3/4" to 1" measurement taken? It's at an angle compared to the gimbal housing so the depth varies.

That picture in the manual is kind of hard to understand. Basically, it just means the bellhousing has to be inside those wings sticking out from the gimbal ring by 3/4" to 1" when trimmed up to where the limit switch stops the trim. It's for side support of the drive and bellhousing.

Untitled1.jpg

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, the light bulb over my head just turned on. The inward 3/4" to 1" is at the bottom or what might be described as the tow of the gimbal. I was trying to make it anywhere but there. D'uh. Between the emboldened hightlighted lines in your pic (mine isn't bold like that) and your description now I get it. Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What manual do you have? That picture is a common picture in the OEM manuals.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mine is a two book set Mercruiser manual. The pic may have originally had the heavy bolder print on the (somewhat) vertical lines. But it's a manual that has been very very well used in its years of service. Was given to me by an in-law so can't complain. It's been very handy to have in hand the last month. But some of the pages are either surprisingly faded or it was a very light printing to begin with.