Trim level

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hear people say trim motor to level with water when boat is floating which makes me think it is stationary and I also hear level to water while on plane. Are they basically the same? I think my skiff rides with the bow slightly higher on plane then when is is adrift. I'm referring to a manual timm adjustment.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim level

Very confusing, MJS.

Terminology is a problem. I think the instructions refer to the anti ventilation plate, which should be at about the same height as the bottom of the boat and either parallel with the bottom or very slightly trimmed "out". The sweet spot for your rig is a matter of trial and error. No two boat/outboard packages will behave exactly the same.

Trimmed too far "in" will limit top speed, trimmed too far "out" will slow the hole shot to get on plane.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

with a manual trim, you need to keep raising it until your holeshot suffers. this needs to be re-adjusted everytime you change the amount of people and stuff in the boat

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Or in triming out too far the boat porpoises. That means the bow (front) oscillates up and down at certain speeds. 2 ways to stop it. Go faster till it quits, or move the pin one notch at at time toward the transom until it quits porpoising at the speed you like to run.

Mark