Trim Level Question

Even Flow2

Cadet
I have always had outboards and now this year I have my first sterndrive Glastron 175 SX 30 GS Volvo Penta SX drive. It has a Fauria trim guage.

As long as the RPM is in a "normal" range you would consider for your speed and there is no prop slippage any negative? I have been experimenting with it and on my guage I can be at the 3rd line up from the bottom easily with no slippage (assume calm water and not hard turns). This is still well before "trailer mode" but the boat will porpoise more in small rolling waves but as long as it is properly drawing water I am not aware of any downside. At this high I can run 3/4 throttle at maximum RPM and run about the same speed at I would at WOT with the trim lower.

just looking for others feedback, especially if they have the same package.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Trim Level Question

sounds all normal to me.

there is always prop slippage. nature of the beast. water is fluid and no way to absolutely connect to it. hence slippage.

but the boat will porpoise more in small rolling waves but as long as it is properly drawing water I am not aware of any downside.
porpoising is a down side imho.

what ya wanna do is start out from idle with trim full in. after ya reach plane and the speed ya wanna go. then trim up for best rpms. if you watch your tach, as ya trim up, rpms will increase, along with speed. your lifting more of the boat out of the water(which is friction) by trimming out. ya want highest rpms while the boat is still performing normally. which is not porpoising. that'll be your sweet spot for that rpm and weather condition and load.

you also use trim in bad weather. trim in or out depending on what ya want the boat to do. ride bow high to clear a large wave, or bow down to pierce through it.

play with it a lot. trim is very useful to have on a boat.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Trim Level Question

uhh, what ziggy said...

just wanna add one thing, what you are referring to as slippage is ventilation - when the prop starts sucking air instead of water...