Trim Issue on a 2000 Regal 1800LSR

Regal1800

Cadet
At the moment I can not trim the outdrive from the throttle control. The trailering button works fine. I thought I had a solenoid issue so I replaced both, but I jumped to that conclusion obviosly since the issue is the same.

I have been reading how the limit switches could be the culprit and did notice under the dash that the trim indicator guage has one disconnected wire. So I'm wondering if the trim indicator guage is fed from the limit switches and does this break continuity to the limit switches and if so could that be the cause?

Sorry for the novice question up until pruchasing this boat last month I have only used them. I'm now learning to work on them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim Issue on a 2000 Regal 1800LSR

I'm assuming you have an Alpha I Gen II drive, simply because you changed the solenoids, Volvo used relays.
Below is a link to the Mercruiser manual, check the troubleshooting section. It has a wiring diagram and tests.
Your trim gauge has nothing to do with the trim limit. Even if the gauge wasn't installed the trim limit should work.
Your trim limit switch or the wiring to it is probably bad causing your problem.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf

Regal1800

Cadet

Don S hit it, it's a Merc 4.3L with the alpha outdrive.

Pump works, trailering button works, I can jump either solenoid and it trims.

Must be the wiring in the throttle control. I hope this is not too hard to work on.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You're assuming again, just like you did with the solenoids. Test things, and replace the bad parts. Don't just replace parts because it "Must" be the problem.
I gave you the link to the manual. A meter and a little time on the boat should tell you EXACTLY what the problem is.
Other than the wiring you say the problem must be in, there is a connector on the trim pump for that wiring. It gets corroded and quites working at times. There is a 20A fuse on the trim pump for the controls. Did you check it? How about the switch in the handle did you check it?

Regal1800

Cadet

True I am.

But yes did check the 20a fuse and it's good.
I do have a meter and will do as you suggest. I am downloading the manual. Hope it shows me where the limit switches are.

I appreciate your input.

Raining today will be hot on it tomorrow.

Steve
Pensacola, Fl