Trim Guage inop

Erock

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2.5l Merc in my boat. The trim guage does not work. When I turn the key on the needle swings to full trim out but that's it. Where should I start looking or what be be the most likely cause? Thanks

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trim Guage inop

i would start at the trim sender wich is located o the swivel bracket when the motor is trimed up. on the stbd side. u'll probably see some wire loom running up into the lower cowl. thats the trim sender wire. i believe its a brown/ white wire. pull off the sender most times u'll see rust coming out or the sender will just break apart. but to test the guage just ground out the brwn wire and check the guage to see if the needle moves with the key on if it does replace sender. be carefull the screw holes to the sender will strip out pretty easily!!

Erock

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. It looks like a simple system.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

what year, mine is a 2.5 with the sender in the boat, i just cleaned up my terminals at pump and that made mine work, though i cant figure out my trim button,it wont work so i use the trailer switches to trim .

Erock

Seaman Apprentice

mine is an 84 and the sender is on the gimbal.

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice

bigskiohio.................that might been a solenoid u cleaned off depending how old the motor is wich sounds old, but if u cant find a switch for ur control box maybe buy a on-off-on switch and pull the wirring off the old switch and mount the new switch in a convenient location on the console.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

no , it was the one on the pump behind the solenoid , the wires from trim sender one runs to gauge the other one runs to pump=ground? that is the one that did it ,works great now. i am going to troubleshoot the switch as soon as i am done for the season,plan on getting out all this month yet.