Trim Gauge does not work

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Heres the deal...

When I bought the boat the trim gauge did not work. I bought a new gauge and it still did not work. I didn't care to work on it anymore because I didn't need it. Well the boat had to get the gimbal & bellows done, so I had the trim sensors replaced as well. I picked it up and the shop said the gauge is not working. They told me it was the gauge, I put the new gauge in myself and it still does not work. Any ideas on what it is? I dont feel like paying the mechanic again.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim Gauge does not work

the only thing I can think of is chasing down the wire from the gauge to the limiters on the outdrive and see if there is a break.

I notice on my boat that on the port side trim limit switch one of the wires has corroded and broken, could this be the case for you?

ScotWithOne_t

Seaman
Re: Trim Gauge does not work

Are the limit wires and sender-unit wires in series?

I have the same problem with my guage. Always stays on 3/4 up. I noticed today that the wires on the sender side (starboard) seem to have been pinched and one is exposed and frayed. Could this cause the limit to go bad too? Not sure how the circuit looks. Trim will not go up unless I push the trailer button. I'm guessing the limit is jammed or shorted.

Sorry for the semi-thread-hijack, but if teh limit and sender are wired in series, then maybe your limit is messed up and affecting the sender?