Trim gage problem...what have I done wrong?

piniongear

Seaman
I put a brand new Faria trim gage on my boat today which has a 1993 Johnson 90HP engine. The gage works great, but in reverse. You know, the motor is coming up and the needle is going down and vise-versa.<br /> I do not see how I could have connected the wires incorrectly, so what did I do, buy the wrong gage for a Johnson?<br /> To make do, I rotated the whole gage 180 degrees in the dash, so at least the needle and the tilt are on the same page but we all know....this is not right, what with the upside-down lettering etc.<br /> I would welcome all comments..........piniongear

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim gage problem...what have I done wrong?

most likely<br /> the merc and the OMC operated backwards. :)I have rotated one or two in my time :) .

piniongear

Seaman

Thanks rodbolt. That's what I needed to know. Yep, it will work upside down.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

found this<br /> web page <br /><br />and this<br /> web page <br /><br />Not an expert on trim guages and do not have access to the wiring diagram, but I would expect if it is a 2 lead sensor and both wires go directly from the sensor to the guage you should be able to reverse them. Try contacting Faria and see if this would work.<br /> Faria<br /><br />EDIT:<br />I looked up the installation instructions and it looks like swapping the wires will not work since the second wire is pulling ground from the 12V system ground. However I would still contact them. Unless you can exchange the guage for the correct one.<br />Also if you know any electronic tecs or engineers they could design a simple and cheap inverting circuit that you could install inline with the sensor wire. It would require using a volt/amp meter to determine min/max voltage and amperage. <br /><br />This all depends how much having the words upside down bothers you.