trim controls

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at adding trim controls to my 79 85 hp Rude. I have seen the foot trim controls,the kind that mount on your steering wheel and the trim handle that goes on the the trottle control. I was wondering if anyone here had has any advice on which one is best. I usually fish in rivers and big lakes in East Texas where the water is mostly calm unless a storm blows through. The old trim control on my throttle is hard to work unless you hit it just right. Or would it be better to just replace the original controls? <br /><br />DUTCH

D

DJ

Re: trim controls

Dutch,<br /><br />I always thought the throttle mounted trim control was the most logical.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry about the double post(stupid computer). That's what I want is the throttle control because I'm used to it. The one thing I liked about the trim handle control would be the big buttons so you wouldn't have to actually look for the buttons,you could feel them. Thanks for the advice djohns19. I used your advice many times in the past. <br /><br />Dutch

Tabman II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dutch,<br /><br />The trim-on-a-wheel or the ProTrim (Teleflex, turn signal type) are normally installed on your go fast bass rigs or any vessel that you need to keep you hands on the wheel to keep her under control (chine walking!). You will most likely see a hot-foot installed too. They kind of go together, if you know what I mean. ;) I like to have the trim at my finger tips or thumbs when driving these vessels, since trim is very important to get as much out of the machine. It really comes down to how you drive your vessel and what you want to gain by installing it. If you are just looking to have trim control (and it kind of sounds like it), then the standard type on the shifter would be the way to go first. This way everybody will be able to drive her and it will look factory installed. After you have one of them, then think about adding the wheel trim! <br /><br />I took a look at your profile to see what size vessel you have and it looks like you got two, is this true? If so, which one has the 85 and how fast are you running? <br /><br />I look forward to your reply.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />MJ Thomas<br />Bennett Marine, Inc.<br />Client Services<br />trimtabs@earthlink.net

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TabmanII;:<br />Yes I have two Raycrfaft boats. One is a 17 1/2 footer that has a 73 Rude 85 and other boat is 15'3" V-156 with a 79 85 hp Rude. The V-156 is the one I had in mind. I saw what I wanted at the Shad Connection called a trim handle but couldn't order it because the websites not secure(even though they say it is). My old trim controls on the throttle are worn out and I need something that will give me instant response. I liked the big buttons on the trim handle so I wouldn't have to actually LOOK for the buttons. I only got 4800-4900 out of her last time out. But there were stumps everywhere so WOT would have been a stupid move. My mechanics says with the rig I have should run almost 50 mph if everything's right. I'll take her out again at a different place and see if I can trim her out to max rpm. The Hot Foot is something I'm looking into also. Seems like a good idea to have that because 50 is still fast on the water. I've got some work to do on my 17 footer and then I'll sell her. The Shad Connection is losing business with their pitiful website.<br /><br />Dutch

azboatman

Cadet

depending on your throttle control, eddie marine makes an outstanding throttle attaching trim switch that puts the buttons right at your thumb