trigger?

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was out at my boat today and decided to take the cover off for a look. When I got it (3 months ago) it was immaculate. Now there are very fine metal shavings on the tops of all the small parts of the engine. Could this be a trigger gone bad? I'm wondering because I have a problem with the motor running predominantly bad when hot or later in the day. I have been told that can be any of the electrical components of the engine, including the trigger. Just wondering if a bad trigger puts off a little "dust" of shavings or it could possibly be the starter teeth slowly wearing down on me. Fly does look great though. Thanks, you guys are like the boating father I never had.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: trigger?

Trigger is plastic. Time to play detective. Metal that appears also left somewhere....<br /><br />-W

garyj

Seaman Apprentice

fatpratt1996,<br /><br />My guess (and its just a guess) is that the top crankshaft bearing may be going out and causing the flywheel to "side-swipe" the stator. This could also be the reason for running bad when it gets hot.<br /><br />Southern Catfisher

Clams Canino

Commander

Time to pop off the flywheel and check that theory. Whatever it is, it only gets more expensive as it gets worse. Hot / cold - if it's bad it's bad.<br /><br />Top cylinder woudld run lean too.<br /><br />-W

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was out the other day and it ran like a bat outa hell. Still pull it?

Clams Canino

Commander

I'd try to get to the bottom of it. At least clean it all up and see if it comes back. <br /><br />If you can pull that little bottom to top oil bleed hose off the top and verify it's pumping oil up to the top bearing - I'd be a little more comfortable "letting it ride".<br /><br />Also check the flywheel for anything loose or a cracked flex plate.<br /><br />-W