Trigger and stator - difference and how to test

Status
Not open for further replies.

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone able to tell me what the difference is between the trigger and the stator? Is the stator esssentially an alternator where the trigger is for outputs to the igntiion module for the coil signals and ignition timing
Is there a way to test the the trigger? I'm having some ignition issues.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trigger and stator - difference and how to test

Stator generates electricity which is stored in a large capacitor in the switchbox. The trigger sends a signal to dump that charge into the ignition coil. If you have multiple coils, you have ADI Ignition.

Get on the CDIElectronics.com website and look up the troubleshooting guide for your ignition system.

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stator generates electricity which is stored in a large capacitor in the switchbox. The trigger sends a signal to dump that charge into the ignition coil. If you have multiple coils, you have ADI Ignition.

Get on the CDIElectronics.com website and look up the troubleshooting guide for your ignition system.

Thanks. From what I understand I have a CDI ignition system, it's got the switch box (which I think Mercury call the Thunderbolt or Thundeerbox or something like that), the 4 top connections are from the stator. Then the 3 connectsions on the left side are from the trigger, and the 3 connections from the right side go to the coil.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The flywheel is fitted with permanent magnets inside the outer rim. As the flywheel rotates, the permanent magnets passs the capacitor charging coils of the stator producting AC voltage. The AC voltage is conducted to the switchbox where it is rectified and stored in a capacitor. The trigger assembly (also mounted under the flywheel) has coils. Each coil controls spark to 2 cylinders. The flywheel also has a second set of permanent magnets located around the center hub. As the flywheel rotates, the magnets pass the trigger coils producting AC voltage. The AC voltage is conducted to and electronic switch (SCR) in the switchbox. The switch discharges the capacitor voltage into the ignition coil at the correct time and in firing order sequence.

Capacitor voltage is conducted to the primary side of ignition coil. As the voltage goes to ground through the primary circuit of the coil, it induces a voltage rise in the secondary side of the ignition coil. This voltage can increase to approximately 40000 volts before bridging the spark plug gap and returning to ground.

That sequence occurs once per engine revolution for each cylinder.

Spark timing is advanced or retarded by the movement of the trigger assembly attached to the throttle/spark arm.

You now know what the trigger and stator do and what the wires on the switch box do.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

sschefer

Your post should be moved into the repair FAQ's. IMHO
That question gets asked a lot.

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, it definitely should be moved to FAQ. who can make that happen?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You want the Mercury schematic drawing for these?:confused: I have the 3cyl, 4cyl and V-6...:D:D

twr7cx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You want the Mercury schematic drawing for these?:confused: I have the 3cyl, 4cyl and V-6...:D:D

boatscan.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That is a wiring diagram, the below is a schematic of that system....

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 49

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the details in this post. Its very helpful to me too.

Ed

mattmann1972

Seaman Apprentice

would this diagram be correct for my 50HP brown band serial number 9421064?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Close as your is a 4 cylinder, still woks the same though.

doc_cody_blue

Seaman Apprentice

this is really helpfull to me. i am just adding estart to my 50hp blueband 4cyl (9362455)

i sure need something to charge that thing. so does anyone have a wiring scheme for this motor? that is how it looks like (attachment)

the 2 times red and green wires coming from the stator. where would the rectifier be connected?

i thought the brown one (middle of the right coloum) would be usefull to get some voltage from but they ground it to turn off the engine, so i dont want to put my battery there

thanks for your help!
andy

Attachments

• electric.jpg
    electric.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hey Doc, Those motors have a Alternator driven ignition(ADI). Battery voltage will destroy your Ign components. Go on the Maxrules.com website and look up the wiring diaghram for your ADI motor.

The rectifier (if so equipped) will be wired to one of the yellow stator wires.

doc_cody_blue

Seaman Apprentice

hey chris,

thank you for your help. so i need a different stator to charge the battery. anyway, i will drive without now. the starter motor arrived today and i will start to CAD the sprocket (is that the right word?) now. curious how things will work out :)

andy

66tracys

Seaman Apprentice
Ok tried running the test out of the 3 carbs .when I put my hand over the carbs only the middle one was pulling air in .the other two could not feel no air pulling my hand. . Any ideas

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ok tried running the test out of the 3 carbs .when I put my hand over the carbs only the middle one was pulling air in .the other two could not feel no air pulling my hand. . Any ideas

Did you post this in the wrong old thread? Copied the post into your backfiring thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.