Tried Everything on New (to me) Boat-1996 Sea Ray F16

Legendoerre

Recruit
Hello everyone!

Recently purchased a 1996 Sea Ray F16 with a 120xr engine. I was able to get it out on the water once where it did start and would run at around 10mph but would cut out if it reached anything over that. I have recently decided to attempt to start the engine shortly again and it will not start at all.

Currently I have done the following services:
-Replaced the spark plugs and have set the gap to .035 (I am getting a strong spark on all 4 cylinders)
-Cleaned both carbs (both of them looked good)
-Purchased a new 900 MCA battery that is putting out around 13V when tested
-Replaced all fuel in system and put in fresh fuel.
-Rewired kill switch to ensure that it is not cutting off spark.
-It does have a red stator but I am unsure if the flywheel has been updated. I have purchased a new stator but to my surprise the wires do not line up directly with the red replacement. The boat did start and run with previously red stator although it was slowly. I have returned the red stator back to its position due to being unable to get proper wiring setup for the replacement stator.

Any assistance in getting the boat started and running at top speed would be greatly appreciated!!

Image:7092 - CDI electronics stator part 174-9710K1, due to this not fitting I have returned it back to the red stator (picture 7075). I still have the CDI electronics stator if anyone knows how to wire it correctly.

Video:
When I took it out on the water that is as fast as it would go without cutting out. Sounds pretty rough too.

Attachments

• IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7075.jpeg
    IMG_7075.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7046.mov
    33.4 MB · Views: 0

2004 searay

Seaman Apprentice
your in the wrong forum, this is for mercruisers, you have a mercury, you will get more hits if you move it to the right section.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The CDI stator wont work as wrong one. Your motor has CDM modules and uses a red stator. First check compression as these are bad about blowning head gaskets . Also sync and link must be dead on or it wont start, also engine must be in good mechanical state.
1728507190459.png
1728507223837.png