Tricky ignition or starter grounding out ignition on Cobra 5.7 89?

Chuck Huey

Recruit
:rolleyes: First timer, hope I’m doing this right. Four Winns Cobra 5.7 1989, When I turn the key in my new switch ( I was hoping for a simple switch solution) to start the engine, the starter engages and cranks the motor. One out of three attempts the engine will fire fast and off we go. 2 out of 3 time the motor will crank but there will be no ignition / firing of the spark plug. If I build enough inertia in the motor, and let the key return to I position Vs S position the engine will fire up and run. It appears to me that the starter circuit is some how shorting - starving the ignition circuit. Or is there a relay that could be sticky or intermittent.? This is the first time in any forum, My email is abram_h@yahoo.com I don’t really understand how to find your replies. Thanks.

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tricky ignition or starter grounding out ignition on Cobra 5.7 89?

Chuck, I'm going to move your post to Inboard Engines forum. Look on the list of forums for I/O or Inboard Engine Questions and Repairs.

D

DJ

Chuck,<br /><br />I am going to assume that your engine has the starter solonoid attached to the starter?<br /><br />If so, the solonoid supplies power to the ignition while cranking. A full 12 volts I might add.<br /><br />After you release the start function, of the key, the ignition power goes through the key circuit and is usually dropped down to 9.5 volts or so through a ballast resistor.<br /><br />Your problem sounds very much like a loose connection somewhere. Check particularly around the starter solonoid and don't forget the grounds.

Chuck Huey

Recruit

djohns19, Yes you are right, the solenoid is attached. I will trace and tighten all those connections. If this shows no improvements should I replace the solenoid and starter?<br />Thanks so much for your help!

Chuck Huey

Recruit

I traced all the wires and cleaned and reconnected all of them, Motor fired right up when cold, ran it on and off for 20 - 30 minutes, Then the problem occurred continuously. I rigged an alligator clip to the positive post of the coil and the other end to the positive terminal on the battery…. Fired right up. Does this mean that my starter is the culprit? What should I do next, get a helper and measure voltage on the starter post to the coil when the starter is engaged? Thanks for your help.