Tree trimmers ?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Last weeks ice storm here in Richland county Ohio brought down thousands of tree limbs and trees. I was called to this one house that had two big monsterous oak trees. About 20' up there was a limb about 1 and half foot in diameter. At the end of it, it had two branches that were about 8" in diameter resting on this ladies roof. My truck was just to small to tackle this job. Plus the limb that comes from the trunk had a major split in it from the extra weight from the ice. I didn't recommend anyone specifically to do this job. <br /><br />So she called a local professional service. They removed the small branches that were resting on her house for $200. They didn't bother taking the limb down to the trunk. To me they left this tree with this large limb cracked open which is still a dangerous condition. Another ice storm or strong wind can finish this off which could do serious damage to her house. <br /><br />She asked them about the broken/split main limb. They said it would be extra to finish taking it down. Personnally I would have rejected the job unless the tree could be made 100% safe. I never do a partial job on anything and leave it in a unsafe manner. Money or not, I don't want to have my work endanger anyone.<br /><br />So my question is this, If they worked on the tree and knew that it would still be a danger, can they be held liable?<br /><br />It would almost be like having the hull of your boat repaired where it wouldn't leak, but the stringers are rotted out.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Tree trimmers ?

Interesting question SS. My first thought is that they would not be liable as they offered to take it down... for additional cost.<br /><br />PS... Freezing Rain and Snow again up here in Toledo. :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Tree trimmers ?

If they warned her the tree is still unsafe and it would cost additinal money to make it safe, they should be fine. I would get her to sign a waiver.<br /><br />Ken