Tree identification

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Does anyone know of a website that shows what barks of trees identify them? Been cutting lots of wood and want only good hardwoods to burn.<br /><br />I know some trees by their bark and wood grain, but some have me baffled to what kind they actually are.

one more cast

Captain
Re: Tree identification

Its easier to identify them by the leaves. You should be able to tell hardwood from softwood by the way it cuts,weight when dry,maybe even smell.However,I did a quick search with "tree identification by bark" and got lots of results.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can't help with identification, but found the following site very educational about heating with wood. <br /><br />It contains a table comparing the btu's available for different kinds of wood. It also has a table of Ratings for firewood with categories for: Relative amount of heat; Easy to burn?; Easy to split?; Have heavy smoke?; Pop or throw sparks?; General rating and remarks. <br /><br />Keep in mind it's from the Missouri cooperative extension office, so if you live far away from MS it may not have some of your loclly available woods.<br /><br /> http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/forestry/g05450.htm

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Lakelivin,<br /><br />That's a pretty good site. Thanks for sharing.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks for the help, just got back in from another day of cutting and hauling. Just this weekend with 5 truck and trailer loads, we have about 8 cords. Last weekend we only got about 4. <br /><br />It sure is a mixture of stuff. I know it is alot easier to tell what it is if you can see what the leaves are. <br /><br />One of the species is a white colored wood with a ring of a red color. Almost like it had been bleeding. The bark is similar to that of walnut. I'm thinking it might be cotton wood. Not sure.<br /><br />Thanks again for looking that stuff up. Just so busy cleaning up the ice storm damage. This work will probably go on for months. The forestry service said it is going to take 3 to 5 years before the trees won't show the effects of the last ice storm. BTW 3" of snow today, and 15 degrees F.....