Travel in Atlanta, GA

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
My son will be visiting Atlanta. He will be there for the month of June.<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br />- Weather<br />- Places to see within a 350mile radius<br />- Places of interest<br />- What cheap accomodation is likely to cost (is that per room or per person)<br />- What it would cost to eat out three times a day in average places<br />- Car hire for a small vehicle<br />- Is one able to cross interstate borders without formal documentation like a passport<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Travel in Atlanta, GA

He should eat at The Varsity and see Stone Mountain. The is a car museum there that has a Tucker Torpedo. Underground Atlanta is a bore, but it is right across the street from the Coke Museum which is cool. Atlanta has has some really interesting gay bars that play the best dance music (please don't ask).

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

stone mountain, the varsity, many other places. if he is not a US citzen he will need to keep his passport on him at all times. however in our country,so far, you can drive coast to coast and from northern border to southern and never need it. may be the odd and illegal roadblock checking drivers licenses. but no need to worry. most states will honer another countries drivers license. NC will. may wish to check with the state that the travel will occur in. usually all at any police checkpoint they can ask for is a drivers license. so far we dont have to carry a passport or national ID card, its coming but not yet. I know in other countries its mandatory and they have military ID check points but not yet here.you can figgue 30 dollars a day if ya eat cheap. rooms away from the airport area are cheaper. by june the weather is usually nice with temps at night in the 60's and daytime highs of the 80's. traffic around atlanta has 2 speeds. 85MPH and parked .<br /> my sister lives there so if you will post how long he will be here and about what location he needs to be I can help more. a 10 mile commute in atlanta can take an hour or more depending on what time of day.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Weather: Hot and sticky around 90 woth 90% humidity.<br />Places to see: Stone Mountain, several nice parks and fishing holes, coke museum, Car Museum, Several cool civil War battlefields, ETC.. Lots to do and see around Hotlanta.<br />A room at a cheap hotel will probably run between 40-45 per night..Cheaper if you dont stay in the city center. Tell him to check in Decatur, and dekalb counties as well.<br />Cheap car runs about 20$ per day <br />We only have checks at the mexican and canadian borders.<br />I lived in atlanta for several years if ya want anymore info just ask.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Avoid topics like the North won the war, and the olympic bomb deal. They get a bit testy. For the most part it is "Hotlanta"

ebbtide176

Commander

LOL, i just read this. man i work in Atl, and can't hardly help you much more than that. :D <br /><br />i live north of atl, near lake lanier, and only drive into the upper fringe. since i've been on a desk job the last 6yrs, i don't even go into downtown. i spend most of my time in gwinnett county, and ATL has 4 counties in the business loop (I-285), which i think is @ 20mi diameter.<br /><br />stone mtn is very nice, lakes, laser shows, hiking, fishing, food, a good family oriented park featuring a huge engraving on the side of a mountain sized rock...<br /><br />varsity is a glorified hotdog stand, very much a trademark of ATL. good chili-cheese dogs & orange slushes. i work @ 2blocks from the one north of ATL off JC Blvd.<br /><br />the fernbank museum is nice, its in decatur, which is a nice part of the city.<br /><br />also buckhead is the chic part of town, with $200 table fare and trendy clubs & shopping. but try not to spend much time on hwy400, its always congested.<br /><br />maybe this will help alittle:<br /><br />Airport: SW atl, off I-85<br />Six Flags Over GA: W of atl, off I-20<br />Fernbank: center-east atl, near Ponce-De-Leon<br />Varsity: center, just off I-75/I-85 across from <br /> GA Tech campus<br />Coke:center-west,near GA Tech(never been there)<br />Buckhead:center by NW, off Piedmont,near hwy400<br />Stone Mtn: E of atl, off hwy78<br /><br />and lastly, if you want to see <br />Lake Lanier Islands resort/water park: N of atl,off I-985(off I-85) exit 8<br /><br />june will be upper 70's,80's, low @ 70<br />spotted bass will be biting 'spotstickers' with greenish colors of worms, curly tail jigs, 15' deep, or around docks. bait stores near lanier will have the spotstickers (wide gap bass jigheads)<br /><br />if here long, i'd travel up to Helen, in NW GA. maybe run up to Red Top Mtn off Lake Allatoona, N of ATL by @ 40mi. see a game at Turner Stadium, and visit Centenial Park, site of past olympics. <br /><br />things i don't know if you're interested in:<br />ML King, his old church is near the midtown varsity - Ebenezer Baptist. <br />town of Dahlonega:the gold rush of GA in the 1800's made this quaint little place, @ 40mi N of atl.<br /><br /> :D plenty to do around here, its a metro ya know. just plan on getting in your lifelong quota of traffic light watching...