trash in gas tank need help!

uniquesound

Cadet
i recently removed my fuel line and found sand in my fuel filters! So i changed all my filters and my lines and pulled my gas tank and dumped my gas now i have never done this before but i pulled my fuel sender and i can hear something suspended in the little bit of fuel thats left in there sounds metalic! So question is how do i remove it? can you get your gas tank cut open? I figure if they do cut them open i figure they fill them with water to keep them from blowing up! I just need to get this tank cleaned out and back in the boat! all help is appreciated

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trash in gas tank need help!

I imagine you have a stainless or aluminum tank and it sounds like you may have had a screw fall in. Tilt the tank to get it into a corner and use a magnet to drag it out the fuel sender hole. Good luck.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

you probably have a built in tank,if you can tilt the boat so the fuel runs to a corner of the tank,then you need to get a pump,I used an elec one,but you need be REAL careful,you might get one that is a manual hand pump,by going through the fuel sender hole proceed to suck out what you can ,of course this is after removing all gas possible,you can do the process over and over using water to agitate the debris,,you can then tie a rag that is absorbant likt towel to a string soak up the remaing bit in the corner,if you have a screw or metal object you cant get,I wouldnt wory about it,it unlikely to get sucked up,the pick up tube should be above the bottom of the tank a bit,usually thinks that get sucked are floating,you should install an inline fuel /water seperator,the type that looks like an oil filter for a car,if you dont have 1 already.then check it often

77Lark

Seaman

I have a built in tank but took the seats out and got to the tank. Removed it, and repalced all the lines and clamps in there while I was at it.

I put a water hose on the vent tube and put the filler tube corner on the ground and flushed it. The filler tube sprayed up into the tank while the filler tube drained out so it worked perfect.

It was hot as hell that week so I sun dried it and made damn sure it was bone dry.

Be sure not to let a bunch of bugs or dust in there. Careful for evening and nighttime condensation. Throw it in the garage or storage building.

My tank was on top of the bilge pump area so it was a perfect opportunity for spring cleaning.

Have fun!!! Careful for the fumes, thats the dangerous part. And use explosion proof pumps.