Transportation and Setup Questions

Nizoj

Cadet
Hello! I've spent a lot of time reading through the forums and appreciate everyone's help as I've gone through my journey of owning an inflatable.

I have a 12.6 Newport Vessels Catalina, a 15hp Mercury 4-stroke and a 45lb trolling motor. An SUV is the main mode of conveyance, especially for longer trips but I do use a beater pickup truck for short trips to the local lake. I do not have launch wheels.

I have some general questions that I may not have found the answers to searching here and maybe a couple that get a little more specific to my situation.

First off, how do you all approach transporting the boat and motor. Specifically for those of you using a SUV or anyone who is deflating and packing the boat and motor up for transport. Do you lay the motor in the back? Have a motor mount that fits and keeps it vertical?

How do you mount the motor on the boat once you have it inflated? Boat half in the water on the ramp? Mount at the car and carry it all to the water?

Did you drill holes in your transom to bolt the motor? This is the big question as I see differing opinions on the approach to take here.

Do you bring a backup motor? I have the trolling motor that I'd probably just lay in the boat as a backup for a larger trip I'm planning on taking. Any creative ways you all handle that?

Any advice for boating with a SIB in the keys backcountry? I have a long drive to get there so getting the packing and transportation part down is important and obviously I want a working motor when I get there, thank you for all of your help!

Sea Eagle Mark

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Nizoj, I've got a Sea Eagle 12.6 with a Tohatsu 6 hp. We love it as I know you'll love the Newport too. Trust me, you'll get tired real quick with the set up, take down. I'd encourage you to get a trailer setup, that way you can focus on a fun day without any hassles. It only takes me an easy 5 minutes to launch/retrieve the Sea Eagle by myself. I went the cheap route and bought a Harbour Freight trailer kit and modified it myself to fit the boat. Total cost was about $375.00 hope this helps, Mark

Attachments

• photo337893.jpg
    photo337893.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Nizoj

Cadet
Thank you for the quick response! I do think a trailer setup is a long term solution for me however I still have one significant trip and likely a few more that require packing the boat down as a strategy I can’t avoid. My biggest concern is the engine and making sure I pack it right so it works when I get to the destination and then set it up right at the boat ramp.

trey22

Cadet
Following your thread since I have many of the same questions. Have the same boat. Have a 45lb trolling motor. Have a SUV to transport everything.

Looking to acquire a 9.8 / 9.9 outboard and was wondering how to transport the motor in the back of my SUV.

Edit: All I use mine is for fishing, so boat has swivel seats mounted to the benches and two fish rod holders and a fish finder holder.