Transome bolt torque specs

phototom1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1991 Tracker TX 17 40 hp Evinrude The transome bolts were loose enought that motor would move when put in reverse about 2-3 treads worth. I seperated motor from boat cleaned old sealant from all areas used Boatlife sealant tightened bolts snug and let set a day to let sealend cure some then snugged the bolts down in a alternating patterned. Question is there a torqur spec I need to use. I did also check wood in holes and all was dry and sounding of transome was with good sounding no thuds or hollow sound.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Just tight......don't try to draw the bolts into the wood. I use 3" x 3" pieces of 1/8" stainless steel scrap to prevent pulling through. You did a good job on what you wrote above.

Last edited:

phototom1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Received reply from Tracker in Fort Worth says 55ft lbs. thanks to all who replyed

phototom1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well 55 ft lbs is a little too much inside was trying to dimpple so I backed off. I am in the process of making a load bearing bar for the inside of transome The square washers Tracker used were not seating flat and were pulling at a angle. I found a Evinrude motor mounting site that states 20-25 ft lbs this seems more reasonable.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A Lot of Boat Dealers need that info. I've watch the riggers using an Air Impact on the bolts/nuts going way past 70 lb feet.