Transom straps

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have to get load rated turnbuckles

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You have to watch how the components are rated when selecting winch and tie downs.

Breaking strength, safe working load (SWL) and working load limit (WLL), as well as a few others, are all quoted in winch and tie down component specifications.

While breaking strength is straight forward, SWL and WLL involve a safety factor based upon usage, typically 1/5 breaking strength, ie #2,500 WLL would have a breaking strength of #12,500

Safety chain and S hook - not rated
5/8” turn buckle - #3,500 WLL
Winch strap - #2,600 WILL (#3,200 winch)
3” Gunwale tie down (cargo strap) - #5,000 WLL

IMG_3040.jpeg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You have to watch how the components are rated when selecting winch and tie downs.

Breaking strength, safe working load (SWL) and working load limit (WLL), as well as a few others, are all quoted in winch and tie down component specifications.

While breaking strength is straight forward, SWL and WLL involve a safety factor based upon usage, typically 1/5 breaking strength, ie #2,500 WLL would have a breaking strength of #12,500

Safety chain and S hook - not rated
5/8” turn buckle - #3,500 WLL
Winch strap - #2,600 WILL (#3,200 winch)
3” Gunwale tie down (cargo strap) - #5,000 WLL

View attachment 392442
Now that's a professional setup. Kudos.

The only thing missing is a PowerWinch. But of course that's just me. Too old to crank any more, and I don't drive on to keep my ramp in pristine condition.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The only thing missing is a PowerWinch. But of course that's just me. Too old to crank any more, and I don't drive on to keep my ramp in pristine condition.
Thanks….had a powered winch on my roller trailer.

Switched over to a drive on setup this Spring. Winch only used to pull the boat the last could of inches

airshot

Rear Admiral

Keep the outboard tilted up and you won't damage the ramp. We require the motor to be tilted up as much as feasable to power load at a local ramp. Most follow it very well. After over 10 years of use, no wash out.
I am 73 and also tired of winching, even with my small 16' aluminum boat. Bought a two speed Fulton winch and it works excellent, even my old worn out shoulders have no issue with this winch, can actually winch it up with just my finger pushing the handle.

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Keep the outboard tilted up and you won't damage the ramp. We require the motor to be tilted up as much as feasable to power load at a local ramp. Most follow it very well. After over 10 years of use, no wash out.
I am 73 and also tired of winching, even with my small 16' aluminum boat. Bought a two speed Fulton winch and it works excellent, even my old worn out shoulders have no issue with this winch, can actually winch it up with just my finger pushing the handle.
I just bought a used 2 speed Profile 2000 (D-L 1800) winch for my soon to be resurrected 1988 Shoreland'r R1824. Almost 70 and too cheap to buy a power winch.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I just bought a used 2 speed Profile 2000 (D-L 1800) winch for my soon to be resurrected 1988 Shoreland'r R1824. Almost 70 and too cheap to buy a power winch.
At age 35 I bought a brand new boat. It was the largest I owned up to that date. I cranked it on a roller trailer once. The second time was after I had installed a Powerwinch (brand).

Thirty Five years later we upgraded even bigger. It had a fancy schmancy 2-speed winch. Same scenario. The second time winched on that all-roller trailer I had the trailer electrified.

Life is too short to to have to sweat. In the overall cost of things the winch cost doesn't even show up.