Transom Saver question

cmuzzy

Cadet
I just bought a 16' aluminum boat and it came with a 50hp eveinrude. It has no power tilt or trim so I was wondering if a transom saver was a good idea for when I transport it to the lake. Most say to use them on outboards with power tilt and trim. Any suggestions? It is my first boat so thanks in advance for any input.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Saver question

The purpose of a transom saver is not necessarily to save the power trim system. It is to prevent damage to the transom from the twisting forces of a tilted engine flopping around on it but another purpose is to provide a secure method of holding the engine tilted up. Tilt locks for example are not strong enough to handle the jarring caused by pot holes and rough roads so they can break causing the engine to drop thus doing additional damage. Some boats can't be trailered with the engine down (preferred) because the lower unit is too close to the road and could be damaged pulling into or exiting parking lots for example.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I use one, especially on the roads I drive to get to the launch. They transfer the shock to the trailer. There are a few different designs and evryone has their favorite. But I would use one if you have to trailer with the motor up.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

If i were you i would use one along with a ratchet strap around lower unit and trailer. that will keep your unit from bouncing.

fishrdan

Admiral

After seeing mt outboard flying all over the place, left-right up-down, while towing I put 1 on. It doesn't move around anymore, even when going over big bumps and dips in the freeway.

I'm using this one on my outboard with out power tilt/trim, modified it so it's pinned to the trailer frame.

20695_0.jpg

oline62

Cadet

I would also recommend using one, I use one on my trailer. The one I use pins right on to the trailer, but depending on where the last roller is on your trailer you could use one that clips around the roller. The one I have also has a bungee cord that wraps around the lower unit so it won't bounce.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes use one...Very cheap insurance for you...You will feel much better....

oshkoshboating

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just so I can jack up my ranking....definitely get one! :D

Seriously though, those outboard can rock pretty good even locked down (I had one on my 71 Steury - big difference!).

Or put it this way - a reasonably price tool or a cracked transom that will cost much more.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

One thing to consider as well, beyond breaking the transom is just the flexing. Everytime the motor bounces your transom flexes some no matter how strong it is. Everytime plywood flexes a little bit of bond is broken between the veneers which will allow water to enter and eventually lead to rot.

relstabw

Seaman

You didn't mention how old the boat is but one weak spot on aluminum boats with wooden transoms is at the corners. With the weight of the outboard stressing the transom without the support of a transom saver you're likely to develop stress cracks along the top corners. A transom saver along with a strap as suggested will prevent that from happening.

Chuck H.

Cadet

You definitly want to use a transom saver to keep your motor from moving while trailering. You might want to look at the Lock-n-Haul at www.Lock-n-Haul.com. It will completely stop any movement of your motor and will not transfer road shock to it since it is not tied to your trailer. Lock-n-Haul is adjustable to fit any size and brand motor.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

We just had this argument (i mean discussion) on another website I am a member on...the general consensus as the lat post just pointed out is to support the motor back to the trasom (the drain hole is a good spot). The reasoning was that tieing it to the trailer is not a good thing because the boat hull itself flexes on the trailer over bumps so if your motor is locked tight to the trailer you are still flexing your transom as the motor is rigid and the hull is moving.

you can read it here

http://www.wellcraftv20.com/community/showthread.php?t=12448

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was kind of wondering about this myself. I just bought a boat and when I tilt it all the way up there is a brace that flips down to support the motor and take the pressure off the hydros. As for supporting the transom I have another problem. I have a shorelandr trailer with the rolers in the back and there is no center roller on the far back to support a transom saver to the motor. Maybe if I found one that went from the bottom of the transom(by the drain hole) to the motor that would work(if this theory is viable). I would definately like more feedback on what people think. I was not able to get the link on the last post to work that lead to the discussion on supporting it back to the transom. I wish I could, it would be some good reading for me.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You definitly want to use a transom saver to keep your motor from moving while trailering. You might want to look at the Lock-n-Haul at www.Lock-n-Haul.com. It will completely stop any movement of your motor and will not transfer road shock to it since it is not tied to your trailer. Lock-n-Haul is adjustable to fit any size and brand motor.

Chuck that one is great, I definetely will buy one to replace my transom saver, the best parts is that dont need a FLIMSY STEERING CLIPS :eek::eek: