Transom Saver Bar

JPritch

Seaman Apprentice
A friend of mine has a Honda 90 on his Carolina Skiff (fiberglass). He was just using the little lever that holds the motor in the up position for trailering, and I mentioned he should look into getting a transom saver bar. He told me the place he bought his boat from said those bars are unnecessary on fiberglass boats like the CS.

So what's the consensus on those transom saver bars? I told him I'd post up and forward any information along to him. He travels a good 3 hrs each way to the water he fishes.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Transom Saver Bar

The tilt lock is not for trailering, that motor weighs at least 375lbs. and it's back there bouncing up and down on the tilt lock mechanism, just makes good sense to use the transom saver bar to lock everything together while on the highway. So the short answer is, "Yes". Good Luck!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm a fan of transom savers. I think they do a good job of what their name denotes. My opinion, but many share it.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Hell if I (or anyone for that matter) know whether they "work." I have not experienced a large enough sample size of trailered boats to calculate whether there is a statistical difference in transoms getting ripped out with vs. without a transom saver.

I can say that a transom saver that straps to the LU at one end and the trailer (roller) at the other prevents the motor from bouncing around while trailering...and I reckon that HAS to be better, both for the transom and the motor, than letting it bounce around.

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, I think folks just tend to underestimate the weight of an outboard motor and the amount of force generated bouncing up and down while trailering. My Yamaha owners book even mentions that they recommend a transom saver or similar device to be used. The tilt lock on my 90HP is just a little latch type affair made out of 1/4" steel, and I'm confident that it could and would break after a while. A fellow could probably just make a pretty good transom saver out of a 2"x8" piece of lumber. Good Luck!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Look at it this way. A Transom saver is $25.00 a replacement motor could be several thousand, repairs to a transom significantly more. Sounds like cheap insurance to me I have put one on every boat that I trailer, as a matter of fact, right or wrong I leave my transom saver on the boat even when parked and stored.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Transom Saver is the least of his worries. The best advice anyone could give him is to not ask questions of, nor listen to anything the guy says at the place he bought his boat from!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree with the dealer. And if he had them for sale and recommended against them, I'd definitely take his word on it.
Transom "savers" shift the weight from an area made to take it (transom) to an area that isn't (trailer cross bar or roller). The boat and motor move as a unit; the trailer does not.
I doubt that a bump in the road will send a motor up off the bracket and back down, especially with trim/tilt. Try lifting against it. And if that's a concern on an extremely rough road, I'd just tie the motor snug to the bracket.
There have been no reports, first, second or third hand, of a tilt bracket failing, in the couple of years I've been here asking, and in my 40 years of trailering and being around an extensive boating community.
If you really need a back-up to the tilt bracket, tie a 2x4 up in there just in case.

I respectfully disagree with the opinions that recommend them. But these are only opinions.
But I will concede this: 6 hours a day trailering is a lot; more stress than a tilt switch typically sees if it's every weekend, or more. Your friend's case may be an exception.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I can't see that the force against the transom going down the road is even close to the force put against the transom when the engine is in the water and cranked up WOT..
I also can't see how someone can tie down the boat to the trailer so tight that there is absolutely no movement between boat and trailer. And if it's not tied down that tight,the transom saver is working between the motor and the transom,transfering every movement TO the transom,trying to destroy it.
Really,a $10k motor,on a $10k transom,SAVED by a $35.00 gimmick-that is NOT manufactured by the boat builder???
Did I mention I don't believe in transom savers??

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

I've never used a transom saver and never had an issue.
Many different boats over many years, from wood, aluminum and fiberglass.
I also don't trailer very far.

Now I live in NC and see a lot of tournament boats coming to the coast from all over... Fla, Al, NY, SC, etc most with double and triple motors...never saw one on those boats yet.

I have seen a few bass boats using them.

So what is the best angle of the motor to transport?
All the way up?
Half way?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

The tilt lock is not for trailering, that motor weighs at least 375lbs. and it's back there bouncing up and down on the tilt lock mechanism, ....
It's not? The tilt lock is not for use while driving the boat either.
That 375 lbs is not all on the tilt lock, only the unbalanced portion is. Maybe 20-25 lbs.
I agree that a "saver" might take some strain off the lock by forming a triangle but as has been suggested earlier, I also am not aware of any lock failures due to road bumps. Anyone on here who has? Details?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PLEASE try the search function and search for transom saver......

This has been discussed just a few times!!!

NYBo

Admiral

You guys are missing the third option: the factory trailering bar. I think most motors come with them, and are what the manufacturers recommend. Mine is many times stronger than the tilt lock that my extra motor has (no power T&T).

No way I would trailer any distance relying on the tilt cylinder or flimsy tilt lock.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Here's how I trailer my 300 pound engine. It is a manufacturer designed chromed trailering bar. And yes, I can bounce on the lower unit hard enough to lift the front of the boat off the trailer without ripping out the transom.

The transom can certainly take any load delivers by bouncing on a rough road.

The tilt lock will eventually shear the bolts and should not be used unless it has been designed like the old merc and OMC units--bullet proof.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok guys, I do have something to say. I do NOT use a transom saver but when I picked my boat up from getting tires, I crossed some railroad tracks and sure enough my motor did drop down:eek:. Now mind you it is a 35 horse johnny but it dropped all the same and yes the lock was in place. Just letting you know that it can happen, and scared the crap out of me when it did.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I see what I consider two different issues being discussed.
1. Saving the transom.
2. Saving the tilt mechanism

Lowering the motor onto a 2x6 will keep it raised and save the tilt mechanism.

I am undecided about the need to save the transom. It sould be built strong enough to support the pressure of the motor while running. I don't know how much extra force is applied by bouncing the boat/motor while trailering.

robert graham

Admiral

O.K., If you don't want to trailer your boat with the motor in the down position(ground/skeg clearance), and your tilt lock mechanism is just not strong or secure enough to take the load of the motor bouncing up and down, then that really takes you right back to some type of transom saver or similar device. A big block of wood and a bungee cord could work in a pinch, but when I drag my boat 500 miles to Florida, my real store bought($25), Transom Saver just holds it in position all the way down there. Good Luck!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I can't see that the force against the transom going down the road is even close to the force put against the transom when the engine is in the water and cranked up WOT..

I'm of the exact same belief... The force of an engine at WOT going over rough waves is magnitudes larger than anything a transom will see going down the road. If your transom is in such poor shape that it can't survive a bump on the road, I don't believe you should consider your boat anything close to seaworthy.

I've had 30 year old boats without transom savers, and big heavy ancient outboards hanging over the edge. No problems so far!

To the OP... You will NEVER find consensus on this topic, it is up there next to religion and politics. (and as others mentioned, tilt locks vs transom savers are two entirely different topics)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm of the exact same belief... The force of an engine at WOT going over rough waves is magnitudes larger than anything a transom will see going down the road. If your transom is in such poor shape that it can't survive a bump on the road, I don't believe you should consider your boat anything close to seaworthy.

I've had 30 year old boats without transom savers, and big heavy ancient outboards hanging over the edge. No problems so far!

To the OP... You will NEVER find consensus on this topic, it is up there next to religion and politics. (and as others mentioned, tilt locks vs transom savers are two entirely different topics)

Different kind of force though. Frequent long distance trailering transmits lots of bouncy momentum (scientific term:rolleyes:) to the transom. Won't break anything overnight, but I've seen more than one issue, particularly with regard to aluminum. I just had some repairs done on my motor pod. My welder wasn't willing to say it was the result of not using a transom saver, but he did say 'they call 'em that for a reason."