Transom Repair question

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1970 vintage 18' aluminum boat that has the beginnings of rot in the transom. The transom construction is 1.75" of marine plywood inside, .100" of 5053 aluminum outside. The splash well is aluminum and is attached to the plywood with SS woodscrews. Several of these screws on the starboard side have pulled out of the wood and created a gap between the transom and the splash well. Water has run down the inside of the transom and there is some rot starting there.<br /><br />I've dried out the wood and reattached the splash well to the transom by drilling all the way through and replacing the wood screws with SS bolts & lock nuts. I sealed the bolts and the splash well/transom interface with 3M 5200. <br /><br />I've had two products recommended to me to stop the rot and restore the strength to the plywood. The first is Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES), the other is product called Gluvit. Does anyone have any experience with either of these products or can recommend something else for treating the plywood. I have no experience with repairing wood rot and I'd appreciate any comments from those that do.

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: Transom Repair question

Doesnt sound like you have a ton of rot. That transom plywood sounds very accessible. Is it?

Norm Malcosky

Seaman

I have used the CPES extensively in fixing a 30' Sportcraft transom. It seals (and stops) the rot quite effectively but seems to be quite flexible. I don't think it alone will restore the strength you need in the transom. I drilled and treated the rot with CPES, but then injected (caulk gun) many tubes of epoxy to restore the transom's strength. <br /><br />Contact the rotdoctor.com to learn possible solutions.<br /><br />erie_guy

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not a ton of rot and the transom is plenty strong as is. I can access the inside of the transom plywood but not the edges or the outside which are covered with aluminum. <br /><br />Anti-freeze for treating rot? Easy enough, I'll give it a try.<br /><br />Thanks

SCO

Lieutenant

I tried the antifreeze (read that Carnell site years ago) on a windowsill that was starting to go, and it did not stop it. I only applied it a few times though, and the sill kept getting wet. I am thinking that if you can take out the splash well and replace the transom with relative ease, then you dont have too much to worry about. Stop the leak, chisel out the cancer, repair as needed. If it continues after a year or two, then replace the entire transom wood. I assume the transom ply is not glued in place. Sorry, this is probably way off. Can you get us some photos to look at?

D

DJ

Captain Puget,<br /><br />Replacing the transom wood in an aluminum boat is relatively easy. I just did one myself.<br /><br />What's your e-mail address.? I can send you some pictures, of my project, with dialogue that will help.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I'd love to see some pictures. Email them to tjslam@yahoo.com. <br /><br />I don't have a digital camera or I'd put some photos up. I hadn't considered replacing it. I assumed that it had several dozen rivets through the wood but on closer inspection the rivets do not pass through the wood. It is held by a few bolts, a few aluminum nails and lots of wood screws.

D

DJ

Captain,<br /><br />I'll send them today.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like you did a first class job. Your boat's transom installation isn't a whole lot different than mine.<br /><br />For now I've sealed the leaks and soaked the wood with ethylene glycol. When it dries and the weather warms a bit I'll seal it with Gluvit. Hopefully that will cure the problem. If not I'll replace the wood. <br /><br />I had the boat out yesterday (winter Chinook season opened) and the leak patches appear to be working although the wood is still damp from the ethylene glycol. Right now I have a couple of fans in there to dry it out. Tomorrow morning I plan to be back out after the salmon.

D

DJ

Thanks Cap'n,<br /><br />Let us know when you "get into it".