Transom problems, "87 Starcraft

ChalkBoy

Seaman Apprentice
A friend of mine just bought an "87 Starcraft 19 ft w/ an outboard. He took me out and told me that it was taking in a little water. When we returned, we took the plug out and out came 3 gallons of water. He later checked the hardware going into the boat and discovered that one of the transom bolts caused a crack on the inside of the stern. The area was saturated and the wood inside the fiberglass appears to be rotted-out. Does he need to replace to the whole transom? Can he just repair the area? One marina wants $1200!! OUCH!.....Help him! :confused:

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Transom problems, "87 Starcraft

the area can't be patched. one way to find out how far the rot has spread is to drill some small holes in the transom to see if water drains out or if the wood is saturated. the holes can be repaired with marine tex. he may be looking at replacing the whole transom depending how far the rot has spread. if it's any consolation it's easier to replace the transom if u have an ob rather than an i/o. go to the project boats section and do a search on transom repair, there's a lot of info there. i also have an 87 starcraft 19ft., with an i/o. i may be looking at some transom repair in the spring. which model does he own?