Transom plate to gimbal housing anode bolts

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone,

I'm transferring my complete engine package from one boat to another and when removing the lower anode bolts in the transom plate, they both broke. Are these bolts made of aluminum?

I do not store this boat in the water, when I replace them, do I have to replace them with the same type of bolts or can I use stainless steel nuts/bolts?

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom plate to gimbal housing anode bolts

They are aluminum. I broke them as well when I did my upgrade, but I replaced them with the same merc. bolts. The way I see it, If anything was to happen (i.e. corrosion) where they had to be replaced in the future, I did not want to have to pull the motor to replace them.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Exactly, that is the thing. It isn't the cost of the bolt, it is how hard it is to get to them.

Bondo

Staff member

Exactly, that is the thing. It isn't the cost of the bolt, it is how hard it is to get to them.

Ayuh,.... They Are aluminum,... Use the Merc bolt/ studs,....

Any other bolt, won't have the threads for the anode,...

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bondo - I guess what I'm really wondering is whether or not I have to put an anode on that bolt if the boat is not kept in the water for long periods of time. It is on a trailer.

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo - I guess what I'm really wondering is whether or not I have to put an anode on that bolt if the boat is not kept in the water for long periods of time. It is on a trailer.

Ayuh,... Donno the answer to that, other than it was put there for a reason,.....

Fun Times

Staff member

I do not store this boat in the water, when I replace them, do I have to replace them with the same type of bolts or can I use stainless steel nuts/bolts?
Hi there, since you're not storing the boat in the water you (even if you were apparently it wouldn't seem to matter much) Mercruiser went from the anode bolt to a bolt then eventually to a plain stud design for both the early model alphas and bravos.

All seen in here, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...659.png&inbr=952&bnbr=40&bdesc=GIMBAL+HOUSING

5307015805982, 16-818834, STUD,PLAIN, 88907, BRUNSWICK CORPORATION DBA MERCUR
5307015805995, 16-56296, STUD,PLAIN, 88907, BRUNSWICK CORPORATION DBA MERCUR

If you're going to switch the style of bolts out, (personally i wouldn't) then for safety reasons I would still recommend using OEM Mercruisers bolts just in case there is design differences. Also be sure to use the rubber washer item #20 no matter what bolt design you use.

Mercruiser suggest that you use the Anode Head if you do not have the Mercathode system installed and if you do have the Mercathode system you do not need the Anode Head, a plastic cap would suffice according to service manual #6 page 2A-7.

Oh and by the way, this would be important to keep in mind to keep the studs from leaking,
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/93/93_21.pdf

Last edited:

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for that information Fun Times. I actually had 2 extra anode bolts, so I will be going back with the original. I just didn't know if this set up was mainly for boats that are stored in the water or not (or boats on a lift where part of the drive may still touch the water.

I didn't know that about sealant around the studs. I'll make sure I do that.

Thank you again.