Transom mount trolling motor converted to bow mount?

General0

Cadet
I have an older Motor Guide transom mount trolling motor and want to mount it on the bow.

I saw somewhere that you could reverse the top portion of these types of trolling motors to make it work?

The only issue I see having is that I would have to fabricate a bow mount of some type to mount it to. Is this something that can be done or should I jsut buy a bow mount type trolling motor?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Transom mount trolling motor converted to bow mount?

you can open the top part of the motor, carefully. there is a pin that goes thru the shaft, remove the pin, turn the head around, replace the pin. that easy. as far as the mount you can get someone to make you a L shaped bracket to bolt to the bow, use a piece of wood to thicken it, and just clamp the motor on. i also did this for a while;
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/tashasdaddy/MVC-741S.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yeah rick, that what i was talking about. it's probably cheaper than having one made.

Just one thing. The shaft length on transom mount motors are generally a lot shorter than what might be required for a proper bow mount. You'll want to check that you can get the motor submerged far enough.

If you motor has a long enough shaft, then it should work fine.

Gary

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Just one thing. The shaft length on transom mount motors are generally a lot shorter than what might be required for a proper bow mount. You'll want to check that you can get the motor submerged far enough.

If you motor has a long enough shaft, then it should work fine.

Good point, Gary....

General0

Cadet

Yeah, guess I didn't think about that point!! Where should I measure on the bow to determine how log a shaft I need? I can see where the water line is would that be a good starting point?