Transom mount transducer - drilled too far?

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everybody.

So I decided to purchase a new garmin fishfinder, with a transom mount transducer for my 2000 16' Welcraft fiberglass boat. After reading the directions carefully, I started to mount the plate for the transducer. The directions said to drill a 1/8" pilot hole 3/8" deep for the mounting screws. So I measured my drill bit and marked the bit with a piece of tape at 3/8". I began to drill, and just before I reached my mark on the drill bit, I felt the drill give way, and I think I may have drilled too far into my hull. I went ahead and mounted the plate, and used lots of marine sealant. I've taken the boat out many times since, and have not noticed any leaks, but now I'm nervous that I permanently damaged my hull. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? Thanks for reading!

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Transom mount transducer - drilled too far?

I don't think you went as far as you think you did. The tape on the bit more than loikely hit the gelcaot and the bit cleaned out the hole you drilled. And if you did bore through, you have bigger problems...a transom that is less than 3/8" thick?:eek:

I think your fine. The screw probably went in further than you drilled.

If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom mount transducer - drilled too far?

If it's dry and you sealed it up good you'll be fine. You could have hit an air pocket or just softer material. If memory serves there's about a 1/4" of fiberglass then the backing material and wood or composite material which is substantially softer then the actual gel coat and fiberglass. If you did like me and put the sealant directly in the drill holes before putting the screws in it's fine. If you are super worried you could pull the screws, clean out the holes (drill them larger) epoxy them in and drill new holes.

Ian