Transom matching motor mount?

Kender

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure if this should go in the restoration forum or here. This issue could pop up with out actually doing a resto so I think it should be ok here.

I am new to boating so if I don't use the correct terminology please let me know.

I have a 1981 15' Sea Sprite bow rider that I bought with no motor. I could not find anything about what size motor generally came with these boats but judging from other boats of similar size I could have gone as low as 40hp and still moved the boat. A decent size would be in the 65-75hp range, this would probably give the boat enough power to get on plane fast and still be able to pull skiers/tubers without making the motor top out to do so. I ran across a great deal on a 1989 Evinrude 88 Spl so I figured it was plenty of HP, probably a little overkill but just a little. The deal was too good to pass up. I am now absolutely positive the boat originally had a smaller motor. The mounting holes on the boat are closer together, closer to the top of the transom, and there are only 2 of them. The motor has several different holes to choose from, for the upper mount point and the lower mount holes are actually slots. So I have 4 bolt locations to use and the footprint of the mount plate is larger. Lastly the top of the mounting plate has a pair of hooks to hang the motor on the transom...I have not noticed these on the smaller motors. I measured the gap between the tip of the hook and the mount plate and got 3", in other words the plate would slide perfectly on a 3" transom with no slop.

The transom on the boat is a single layer of 3/4" ply plus the hull and interior glassing totals approx 1" thickness on the transom. I am not 100% on what I should do. Either the hooks on the mount plate are there just to support the motor while thread the bolts and tighten everything down and the thickness of the transom does not need to match the hooks thickness.... OR.... I need to tear out the old ply and interior glass on the transom and replace it with several layers of ply (totaling about 2.5" thick) and then fiberglass the ply to the hull and add layers of glass to total 3" thick transom.

My logic and common sense tells me that a bigger motor needs a bigger transom to hold up to the extra umph put out by the motor.....plus replacing the transom means I know there are no soft spots or rot.

Thanks for the help.
DJ

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom matching motor mount?

My logic and common sense tells me that a bigger motor needs a bigger transom to hold up to the extra umph put out by the motor.....plus replacing the transom means I know there are no soft spots or rot.

Thanks for the help.
DJ

I am not familiar with your boat, but I'm thinking the common sense answer here is a bigger motor needs a bigger boat. You need to find out what your boat is rated for. Overpowering can be extremely dangerous for numerous reasons.

Kender

Seaman Apprentice

I am not familiar with your boat, but I'm thinking the common sense answer here is a bigger motor needs a bigger boat. You need to find out what your boat is rated for. Overpowering can be extremely dangerous for numerous reasons.

I'd love to figure out what it originally came with but there is not an information plate anywhere on the boat. Nothing lists max number of persons, weight, motor, etc.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Just poking around the Webz, I found "1981 Sea Sprite 15' bowriders" with motors ranging from 40hp to 90hp. In one CL ad, the guy listed that the plate said "max 750 lbs" (I assume that does NOT include motor)

I know my 15' 1979 Starcraft bowrider says max 5 people/750 lbs of people, 1150 lbs w/motor and gear, 100hp, and has a 70hp Merc on it. The transom is 2" thick, though.

Post some good pics of the boat, especially the transom. Maybe it's been (poorly) replaced before?

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

without pictures its hard to determine much..however.. lets assume you got the correct motor..and you wanted to add this motor..then all you really need to be certain of is that you use 4 bolts to hold the engine on. if width is your concern then either add width by doing as you stated and move forward from there.

you also have another option which is to install a jack plate..this bolts to the transom and then you bolt the motor to it.. it has bolts with slides that allow you to change the height to get the best out of the motor regarding transom length..

its a good idea to look up your model boat and search for hull design and max HP..becasue the last thing you want is a boat that is so overpowered that it runs away and causes harm to you or others..

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

if its a sea raider model..then max is only 60HP

Kender

Seaman Apprentice

Just poking around the Webz, I found "1981 Sea Sprite 15' bowriders" with motors ranging from 40hp to 90hp. In one CL ad, the guy listed that the plate said "max 750 lbs" (I assume that does NOT include motor)

I know my 15' 1979 Starcraft bowrider says max 5 people/750 lbs of people, 1150 lbs w/motor and gear, 100hp, and has a 70hp Merc on it. The transom is 2" thick, though.

Post some good pics of the boat, especially the transom. Maybe it's been (poorly) replaced before?

I have the worst luck with web searching. I have tried on and off for the last few days to get specs but I can only get info on boats older or younger or longer. I guess I need to keep trying though since the info is out there. I have only taken pics with my phone right now, mainly to show to friends. I will get some good pics with my camera since I need to document my rebuild. I am still recovering from knee surgery so being able to get up and in the boat right now is difficult but some days my knee cooperates and I should be able to get a good pic then. Thanks for the help.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

take good look at your boat and do a search for similar boats to get an idea what model you might have.. obviously if you can find anything on your boat that states the model type or some identification then that is best.

the link i sent you came up in second on the web and there are 13 types of sea sprite boats..the raider and stinger are the only ones that is in the 15-16ft range..other are 16 and above

having said that you are looking at max HP of 60 or 90HP...

your 88 is only a about 25%over in percentages above the 60 range which should be ok..considering load of people and skiiers or whatever you do

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If your transom is indeed only one thickness of 3/4 ply, then it is too flimsy to support a big 4 cylinder Johnson and absorb the thrust loads. I recommend that at the very minimum, you bring it up to 1 1/2 inch which is what most larger modern boats have. Then do some bracing and aluminum plating for insurance.

And those "hooks" are only an aid for positioning the engine while mounting it. they never contact any transom when the engine is fully bolted up.

This is what I did for a 90/125

Attachments

• Splashwell.jpg
    Splashwell.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 55MPH.jpg
    55MPH.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

As for the old mounting holes in the transom, many older motors only had 2 bolt holes, and 2 screw clamps on the top, and the holes were closer together.

The 88 special, and the now standard BIA bolt hole pattern.

The top "hooks" on the motor, generally do not rest on the top of the transom.
The motor is usually raised up , resulting in these hooks just floating above the transom.
Motor mount height is determined by aligning the anti ventilation plate on the motor, with the bottom of the hull.

shaft_length_small.gif

Slap a it of ply on it to reinforce, and have at it. :)