Transom help on Supersport.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing the transom on my 70 Supersport even though the PO told me he had replaced it. From pictures I have seen on here of other transoms it seems to me that he put way to many bolts in the transom. I would appreciate it if I could see some good pic of transoms so I can visualize how the transom should be secured, and any advice would be gratefully accepted.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Transom help on Supersport.

Lots of us have done transom replacements and it's no big deal. On a OB transom there should be (4) 1/4" screws on each side, (6) at the knee brace, (4) for engine mount, (4) for the wooden plate in the middle and a pull ring of some sort on each side. You can check out my resto thread by clicking on my signature link below. I added a extra aluminum plate to cover all the old sins of the past.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the information. I wasn't really worried about getting the transom out, have read enough threads on here to have a good idea how to do it. My concern was all of the bolts the PO had put through the transom. I got the transom off this morning. Actually it looks to be in very good shape and appears to be made out of marine plywood, but it wasn't sealed in any way. I am thinking of filling the holes, epoxying it and putting it back in. Here are some pics of the stern of the boat with all of the bolt holes.

transom1.jpg
transom5.jpg
transom4.jpg
transom3.jpg
transom2.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah all those diagonal ones are not factory. In those locations should just be screws holding the splashwell to the transom board but for some reason he drilled 'em out and bolted it.

I cut down on the number of screws/bolts on mine. I don't have a good photo though.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do you think about JB Weld and a thin aluminum patch on the inside of the transom? Also just for information did you all have to take off the gunwale to get your transom wood out? Mine stuck out over the edge of the transom wood by about an inch. I had to take all the trim off and then the thin painted aluminum sheet that makes up the gunwale in order to get the transom out. Of course having to do that much made me decide to take the rest of it off too so now I have all of it off. At least it makes it easier to strip it down and paint it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Most of us either cut off that inch of material or temporarily bent it out of the way. It will be covered by the transom caps anyway.

I patched my unneeded holes just as you described with little squares of aluminum flashing as backers for some JB.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great that is what I'll do then. Thought about bending it, but was worried that it would show. I don't have either of the end caps so will have to keep my eye out for some on ebay or else contact I think is was MichaelP.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have one of MichaelP's caps and it looks and fits great.