Transom going bad.

jroberts24

Cadet
Hi guys,<br /><br />I have a 1984 Bayliner Trophy 1910. The transom has cracked pretty bad, leading me to think that the wood has began to rotten. The crack extends from one of the lower mounting bolts to the other and it leaks water. I took it to a fiberglass shop and they wanted to redo the whole back side of the boat for 3K dollars. The boat is not worth that much. I thought about maybe fiberglassing the crack and adding some 1/4 alluminum plates on each side of the transom and if not fiberglass, maybe just some 3m 5200 silicone to seal it. Will this work. To see the stringer system, the liner will have to be pulled out and I am not equipped to do this. If the transom is bad, do you think the stringer system is bad too. I hate to trash the boat, it has been a good one and it is nice to fish out of.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jroberts :confused:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transom going bad.

Don't think you are going to be a happy camper.<br /><br />Bayliners are loved by many first time boaters who look to get a lot for their money. And they do - sorta. If well maintained and kept indoors (almost said kept out of the water) they will last for a short while. They are not known for quality and have a terrible reputation for just what you are experiencing. There is no quick, easy fix. The rot gotta go for safety sake. I would not be comfortable at all with the fix you are thinking about unless you boat in a small lake, never go above 5 mph, have good life insurance for the family and your will is up to date.<br /><br />What can you do?? First $3K is outrageous to do a transom in a boat that size. If you must keep it get more estimates but beware if they get into the transom they might likely find rot in the stringers.<br /><br />There is an option for you to do it yourself. Before you dismiss this spend some time in the Project Boats Section here and also bang around the red Search function.

Bondo

Staff member

Yea, What SoLittle says.......<br /> Bilgeliners are built with the Least amount of Inferior materials possible, to create the Illusion of a Quality Boat.....

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

let's cut the guy some slack. he's looking for advice, not someone bashing his boat. he enjoys his bayliner, so what's the problem? jroberts, get the book "runabout renovation". there's a lot of good advice there. u can find it on amazon.com or ebay. if the transom is shot it will have to be redone. there's no way around it. you'll probably have to pull the engine & outdrive. it's a big job, but many d.i.y. have done it with good results. i would concentrate on the transom first, then the stringers. u can get at the stringers by pulling the floor. good luck.

jroberts24

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like this is going to be a winter job. Looks like I might be doing more hunting this winter than fishing, but I will be ready for the spring of 2004. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jroberts :p

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/GLtransoms.html#trans3 <br />Don't know much about Bayliners, being from another country, but basically they're just a Fibreglass boat and should be able to be repaired /restored. I have read some negative stuff about them along with Force motors. But lower priced items, usually demand a bit more care, so restore and enjoy... :D