Transom filler

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice
What is the best way to fill in holes in the transom. I'm going from one outboard to another and the mounting holes don't line up. How do i deal with this? Silicone? Fiberglass?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transom filler

For 1/2" holes I'd use 5200 or better put the bolts back with 4200 if there was room,, no silicone.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

3M 5200 is a sealant/adhesive used for marine hulls.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

3m5200 is available at home depot in small 3 ounce tubes. Use Duct tape on one side of the hole since it is thin and takes 7 days to cure (You can use it in water before it is fully cured).

You should try to fill the majority of the hole possibly with a wood dowel coated in the 3m5200.

Some people hammer in a wood dowel and let the 3m5200 as a sealer so hammer it in and do not leave it flush.

The other option is to use Marine Tex putty to entirely fill the hole or just to bring it to a level spot.

Forget silicone - it will fail.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used west system from west marine I just used there filler #404 and mixed it really thick. thand the best part is it drys in minutes not days and you don't need to use there reson you can get the cheap stuff fome ant where.