transom extension

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Zodiac Pro II 470. The motor is a Yamaha 40 4-stroke with a long shaft. As I have mentioned before the boat is designed for a short shaft engine and I am considering raising the engine up a bit. The pictures show the current installation. As you can see, the engine is already mounted up about 2.5" above the transom. But based on the bolt pattern it cannot really go any higher without extending the transom. The other pictures show the lower unit in relation to the bottom of the hull. In order to get the anti-cavitation plate up to the bottom of the hull where the engine manual says it should be, the engine needs to be raised about 3.5 more inches.

Searching forums online I find that there are two potential alternatives in mounting the engine up higher. One use CMC extension plates http://cook-mfg.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_13&products_id=13. With these I would actually have to cut them down a little and probably mount them on the inside of the transom using some hardwood to extend the thickness of the transom up to hold the engine. The width of the engine cutout is just wide enough for the existing engine mount, the extra width of the extension plates would be too wide to mount them on the outside.

The other choice is to use one of these: http://www.iboats.com/Transom-Elevators/dm/view_id.40157

The transom elevator will provide the correct lift and is the correct width to fit the transom of my boat. But compared to the 1/2 thick extension plates, it is only 3/16 aluminum and it seems that it may not be strong enough to last.

That all being said, the boat works fine and goes fast enough. The only problem is that water sprays up on the rear of the tubes. If the engine is not trimmed just so, some of the water ends up running into the boat. Raising the engine will help with this and probably improve the fuel mileage a little bit.

The issue is if raising the engine is really worth the trouble involved. Any comments or advise are appreciated.

Attachments

• _1020687.jpg
    _1020687.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • _1020683.jpg
    _1020683.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • _1020684.jpg
    _1020684.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • _1020685.jpg
    _1020685.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • _1020688.jpg
    _1020688.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: transom extension

Some comments,

Seems you cannot raise engine more unless you re arrange bolts position a bit higher, on the market you can find transon mount plates to extend short transom heights. Probably will be the least efford solution, the parameters stated on most engine manuals are just references, are not cast in stone, all hulls are not alike.

Personally don't like splashes at back tubes or water getting in over transom, this cretaes tail drag, lessens top speed and worsens on tight curves. And definitely, is worth the trouble, will love the nice performance achieved once engine height is correctly set.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Transom Mount.JPG
    Transom Mount.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Thinking about this problem I looked at some jack plates and some homebuilt solutions on the internet. It seems that most of the jack plates are essentially two pieces of aluminum angle with a couple of bolts through them. Instead of using that I just thought that a couple of pieces of aluminum U channel would work.

One leg of the U channel would be drilled to match the existing engine mount holes in the transom. The opposite leg would be drilled to match the engine mount holes only higher up. The would raise the engine to where I wanted it. I figure 6061 aluminum with about 1/4 thickness (maybe the next size up) with 2 1/2" legs.

The drawing below shows (more or less) what I am thinking about. Aluminum channel in this size is about $12/foot. The only disadvantage is that this mount is not easily adjustable like some of the jack plates.

View attachment mount.pdf

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a good solution. Instead of U channel, might a full square channel be even stronger? Good luck with the project.

Larry

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a good solution. Instead of U channel, might a full square channel be even stronger? Good luck with the project.

Larry

Square channel would be stronger. But, the mounting bolts would have to go through the whole channel for access. With a U channel the bolts just have to go through one thickness and you can access the bolts. Also with square channel the bottom or top of the channel would need to be closed off to prevent water from being pushed up the channel and fountaining all over the engine when the boat is moving fast.