Transom crack

EvinFla

Seaman
On my 1998 18' CC Hydra Sport, I have a crack that runs about an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch wide by about 4-5 inches, about 5 inches below the top of the splash well on the outside portion of the transom. Its been there since I purchased. I rocked the engine to test the rigidity of the transom and it was solid. The crack is not deep, as it appears to only be to the gel coat. <br /><br />Also a small crack appeared on the opposite side right below the top of the splash well. Also not deep, but definately not a spider crack?<br /><br />What would be the best way to repair/seal these cracks?<br /><br />Is there anything I should be worried about inregards to water damage of future damage?<br /><br />What type of material are transoms like this made out of?<br /><br />Thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transom crack

EvinFla - Many if not most transoms are made of a fiberglass sandwich - That is an outer coating of gel coat, several layers of fiberglass, a plywood core and several layers of fiberglass. The problem of wood rot is usually caused by either a leak/crack in the cap on top of the transom or a through the transom hole that was not properly sealed allowing water to get to the wood which ultimately produces the dreaded rot.<br /><br />Both of your cracks can easily be fixed by packing them with Marine Tex. It is one of those wonder products that every boater should have in his garage along with 3M 5200 and Marvel Mystery oil.