Transom Clamp Screw Install Question (5hp 1997 Suzuki 2 stroke)

NicholasP

Seaman
I am replacing one of the transom screw clamps and I would like to know how to keep the part at the end of the bolt (that presses up against the transom) *ON* the bolt. There isn't a screw holding it in place and the end of the bolt is smooth. This is the entire transom screw clamp assembly, there are no additional parts needed as far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm stumped.
20201020_140608.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The smooth end is peened to hold the cup on. Look at the other one. Then figure out a way to get to it. It may be tricky. One way is to drill and tap in the screw for a small screw and a washer fitting inside the cup. Use Locktite on the new small screw.

peen.png

GA_Boater

Thought of another way to hold the cup on. Find a washer that fits the smooth end of the screw and drill a hole across the screw and fit the cup over the screw, slip the washer on, then slide and spread a cotter pin. The washer is important to slow down wear of the cotter pin.

NicholasP

Seaman
Are those the standard ways of installing this? I don't have a tap/die set and I think it would be pretty hard to find a cotter pin that fits on the inside -- there's not a lot of room.

GA_Boater

Look at the other one to see how it's secured. The screw and cotter key are alternative ways because peening is difficult.

NicholasP

Seaman
I ended up using a ball bearing on the end while I turned the screw. It worked, but I think I 'over-peened' it; I stopped when I heard a noise, that was the end splitting. It's definitely on there, I just wish I had gone a little more gradual.