Transom Bracket / cutout transom

fletch44

Cadet
I have a 1996 Sport-Craft 252 Fisherman CC. It has a cutout transom that allows a lot of water onto the deck when offshore. I am considering installing a transom bracket with a swim platform and possibly closing in the transom. Since I will be moving twin 150 Mercury's about 2 feet back, will the weight distribution affect the ride of the boat negatively. I think the boat is runs perfect now, and would hate to ruin it. I have always heard of the positve affects of a bracket, but has anyone had it not work out for them?!

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom Bracket / cutout transom

Well I join in here, removed 2 120hp Forces from a cutout transom and after replacing bad wood, it will be glassed up and over creating a bench seat inside. It will have a Johnson 225hp installed on a Stainless Marine bracket. Hopefully it will be MUCH quieter and have better fuel economy. The Force's were loud and sucked fuel bad! The boat also had a tendency to push the bow down at about 30 knots. Of course it probably wasn't designed for 240hp either as a single 150hp was standard. I'm hoping with the engine bracket mounted, it will help bring the bow up.