transmission revisited

or, I am stupid, please help me.<br /><br />What kind of a tool do you use to hold the piece that spins while taking off, or putting back on, the coupling nut. Also, the manual says to replace this part. Why would I have to replace this nut? :confused:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: transmission revisited

I usually use an impact wrench to remove that nut... However, since you may not have one I will offer this idea..<br /><br />Find a flat steel bar about 24 inches long X 1 1/2 inches wide X 1/4 inch thick and drill a couple of holes in it at the 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock position of the coupling and then bolt the bar to the coupling... That ought to give ya something to hold onto while you bust the nut loose... <br /><br />Also, spray the nut and threads with wd-40 or PB blaster(even better) before you start.. Makes life alot easier...<br /><br />You might also need a gear puller to get the coupling off of the output shaft.. Someties they are stubborn... You can rent a gear puller at most autoparts stores...<br /><br />Edit: The nut is a nyloc nut (nylon lock nut), good for one time..