Transmission Fluid for Transmission

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
My boat has a transmission cooler on it and I noticed in my owner's manual that the recommended transmission fluid is:

"10 Weight Tractor Hydraulic Fluid meeting the Detroit Diesel Alliance Type C3 and/or Caterpillar TO-2 specifications (on container). Such as Mobil 423, Chevron, or Citgo. This fluid is compatible with Automatic Transmission Fluid."

So, since this is an old 88/89 Wellcraft setup, can I use regular Dexcron 3 ATF?
I don't know much about the different types of transmission fluids....

Thanks,
Chris

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transmission Fluid for Transmission

You have a transmission in there somewhere? is it a TH700R4 or is it an AT540? ;)

You're losing me here. You have a Bravo I according to your sig. The only thing there that might use ATF is your power steering and power trim system. The power steering can use ATF. The trim system can use literally anything from 10w40 to ATF. I used ATF in mine so I could ID leaks (red)

Detroit Diesel Alliance
Minor point...."Detroit Diesel Allison"

Cheers,

Rick

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

I think there's a transmission behind the engine.
Maybe there's not.

According to the Owner's manual, the High HP engines had a transmission behind the engine...perhaps mine doesn't, but there is a unit that looks suspiciously like a cooler mounted behind the engine, and it is NOT the Oil/Power Steering cooler as I know where that is (unfortunately) :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well on a Bravo (and many others) there's 2 water:eek:il heat exchangers.

One for the power steering and one for the oil.

It depends on the year where they put them. Some years had one of them on the back of the engine. mine is on the front and port side under the exhaust manifold.

If you have an additional (third) heat exchanger, someone added another one.....

But it's unlikely....

"Transmissions" were for V-drives etc... No production stern drive has ever had a transmission between it and the drive. all the shifting is internal to the drive.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

My power/oil exchange is a dual - both on the same unit.

Had to get the dang thing repaired after I didn't get the water out and it popped the end cap off :D

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yours must've looked something like this?

805561T1.jpg

Is this "trans" cooler you have an air:eek:il type or is it a water to oil model like the original?

In either case it appears that someone added it. Is the dual unit still connected to both the oil and power steering oil systems?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Transmissions" were for V-drives etc... No production stern drive has ever had a transmission between it and the drive. all the shifting is internal to the drive

Not exactly, there were a couple. Mercruiser TR and TRS drives. Merc made one transmission, and the BW Velvet drive was the other tranny used.

My power/oil exchange is a dual - both on the same unit.

Had to get the dang thing repaired after I didn't get the water out and it popped the end cap off

You don't have a transmission, other that the outdrive. That cooler is for PS fluid and engine oil.
Remove it and take it to your local radiator shop. They can fix it. and clean it out.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Not exactly, there were a couple. Mercruiser TR and TRS drives. Merc made one transmission, and the BW Velvet drive was the other tranny used.

You don't have a transmission, other that the outdrive. That cooler is for PS fluid and engine oil.
Remove it and take it to your local radiator shop. They can fix it. and clean it out.

I already did that a while back :) (Thanks to your help about the end cap being popped)

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Were those transmissions for diesel engines?

Which drives used those transmissions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Were those transmissions for diesel engines?

Which drives used those transmissions?

I already answered that, the TR and TRS drives. Bravo drives DO NOT have seperate transmissions. Even when used on diesels.

The TR drives were used on Fords and some Chevy SB's in the 70's, then the Big Blocks started using the TRS in 77 and used them till 87 when the Bravo drives came out.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

My bad, I didn't catch that TR/TRS were the drives.

I need to read a little closer.