Transmission cooler on manual tranny

bbalcer

Seaman
I've seen transmission coolers on many vehicles, all of which are automatic transmissions. I was planning on towing my 18' aluminum deep-v about 900 miles and have a manual transmission in a 1992 half ton Chevy with an new 350. According to the RPO codes I have a 3.08 rear diff ratio and a 5600 GVWR. Any inputs would be appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: Transmission cooler on manual tranny

There is no sense in installing a cooler on most manuals. There is no pump in a manaul trans. to circulate the fluid.

bbalcer

Seaman

I've seen aftermarket ones that have an external pump. Will the low gear ratio be a hinderance on anything other than low end torque. The gas mileage isn't a problem and the 350 makes plenty of power for my load. Do you think investing in a new rear end is worth it?

D

DJ

3.08 is prety tall. It all depends on how much your boat weighs. What you really want to know is what your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)is.<br /><br />The transmission is really not the issue in towing a boat. The clutch is. The 3.08 will tax your clutch on launch ramp retrieval.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would just baby the transmission by keeping the fluid changed with a quality lube. I agree with DJ and the clutch will take more of a beating. Consider that the truck is 13 years old.<br /><br />Bob

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

If by chance your truck is 4wd, use low range (transfer case) on the boat landings.<br /><br />DougV>

bbalcer

Seaman

I've got a HD clutch that I installed with the new motor a couple years ago. Unfortunately the truck is only a 1 wheel drive (when slippery...). I think all should go well. Maybe just take a spare set of u-joints to rule out getting stranded with a $5 problem. Thanks for all your inputs.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 1/2tn Chevy 5 speed manuel with the V-6. <br /><br />Your boat & trailer shouldn't weigh much more than a ton. You & the truck won't hardly know its back there. I pull 6-7000 pound trailers with mine frequently, and never had a problem.<br /><br />The only thing you might watch is to avoid useing 5th gear unless you are going fairly level and don't feel the engine trying to bog down.<br /><br />If you change the rear end and trans. fluid every year or so and use the lube they tell ya too, it should last forever no harder than you're working it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You might want to add a limited slip differential and an aluminum finned cover. The cover will help keep the rear cool, and the diff will help with traction problems, especially on slippery or gravel surfaces.<br /><br />Mark.