transmission cooler clutch

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys :)

i was fiddling around with my boat trying to get into a ridiculous parking space near the ramp, far too busy i should have gone home, it was on a hill and i was playing in first with the clutch and then started to smell it burn.

it's a front wheel drive van, no low gears or anything, am at %90 of tow rating.

Now i know a 4x4 would be best but i don't have any trouble towing up and down to my house, it's just this playing around on the clutch that i was doing.

So, question... will adding a transmission cooler do anything to cool the clutch also or is just the gears that it cools? it's a manual diesel by the way.

or basically do i need to not play with the clutch or get a 4x4?

thanks guys :)

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: transmission cooler clutch

You need to learn to not ride the clutch.

And a tranni cooler will do nothing to cool the flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate.

Infact I'm not even sure you can add a tranni cooler on a manual transmission.

Bill

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

What make of front wheel drive diesel van do you own??
Mike

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

What make of front wheel drive diesel van do you own??
Mike
A manual transmission and a diesel engine, Im curious myself.
As stated above, a tranny cooler will do nothing for a clutch.

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, i was pretty sure it would do nothing for the clutch but seeing as i have no experience with the coolers i thought i'd ask :)

yeah i don't normally ride the clutch, i was in an awkward situation at the time.

I'm in europe, have a renault trafic cargo van with a 1.9 dci diesel engine, tow rating 5000lbs

Renault_Trafic_001.JPG

Splat

Lieutenant

That thing looks cool!

And yea I hear ya about being in an akward spot with a manual, sometimes its all you can do.

Bill

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I understand now. To my knowledge we don't have a front wheel drive diesel van on our side of the pond. for your problem, don't rev engine above idle to do slow maneuvering unless absolutely necessary and try to keep clutch slippage to absolute minimum. If your stick trans is like the 5 spds we have here, reverse has about the same ratio as 2nd, so that just compounds your problem. Try to stay out of situations like you described or you'll spend a bunch of euros getting the clutch changed.
HTH,
Mike
PS: I wish our EPA, tree huggers and the vehicle buying public would wake up like you folks have regarding diesel engines.

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah it is pretty cool, i've always been fond of the shape which is why i bought it. There was an alliance between renault, nissan and opel who built this model and all have the same but ofcourse branded differently. All have won awards.

Thanks, yeah i think the key is to stay out of the sticky situation i got into. It was a fairly steep incline and had no choice but to rev quite a lot.
Yeah reverse does have the same ratio as 2nd, but i did use it and because it was effectively pushing in reverse, the front wheels now being at the back pushing the van and then boat i felt a whole load of grip!!

diesel is the norm here now, more mileage, cheaper at the pump, no longer smokey or noisy, i think diesels outsell petrol by quite a percentage.