Transducer placement ?

Penhook

Cadet
I have a ProCraft 170 fish and ski boat. I glued the transducer to the raised area in front of the drain plug and it does not seem to work there. Not sure if there is a open space between that and the bottom of the boat or what causes the problem. I have moved it to the area right in front of the drain plug but have not glued it down yet. Should the thing work there? I would run it to the outside but opening where control cable and fuel line come out look too tight to get the transducer or the fuse on the fish finder cable thru the hole. Any ideas would sure help solve this problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would run it to the outside but opening where control cable and fuel line come out look too tight to get the transducer or the fuse on the fish finder cable thru the hole.
Confused…..there is no fuse on the transducer cable.
You pull the transducer cable “into” the boat from the outside. Only connector has to pass through the back of the boat

Penhook

Cadet
Confused…..there is no fuse on the transducer cable.
You pull the transducer cable “into” the boat from the outside. Only connector has to pass through the back of the boat
I called it a fuse but not really sure what it is. On my Hummingbird 678 fish finder about 3 inches from the connector to the fish finder there is a round thing that is about the size of a silver dollar but thicker. I was going to run the cable the way you said but could not get this part to go thru the hole. It might go thru but looks like it would take someone that knows how to do it.

Last edited:

Penhook

Cadet
I called it a fuse but not really sure what it is. On my Hummingbird 678 fish finder about 3 inches from the connector to the fish finder there is a round thing that is about the size of a silver dollar but thicker. I was going to run the cable the way you said but could not get this part to go thru the hole. It might go thru but looks like it would take someone that knows proper way to do it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I called it a fuse but not really sure what it is. On my Hummingbird 678 fish finder about 3 inches from the connector to the fish finder there is a round thing that is about the size of a silver dollar but thicker. I was going to run the cable the way you said but could not get this part to go thru the hole. It might go thru but looks like it would take someone that knows how to do it.
Now you really got me scratching my head.
You mean like this?
This is the power cable. 1655745996716.png

This is the transducer cable
1655746174891.png

Penhook

Cadet
Yes, I think it was a 1 1/4 hole I had to drill for it to go thru the top of the dash behind my windshield. I have tried pushing it thru the hole in back where control cables come out but have not found a clear path for it to go thru.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I think it was a 1 1/4 hole I had to drill for it to go thru the top of the dash behind my windshield.
Wow… the connect doesn’t look anywhere near that large. It’s been a while but I think the connector on my transducer is 3/4”

That "round thing" is an electrical noise filter and it's on the power cable, not the transducer cable. You shouldn't have to be running the power cable back to the engine should you? The connector on the transducer cable should only be about a half to three quarters of an inch. You might have to cut a few zip ties or something like that, but otherwise, it should be easy to get that connector through the hole where the engine cables, wiring, and pitot line come from the transom. That's how the external transducer is wired on my 170C.

Or is it possible that the power cable and the transducer cable are joined together at the connector to the fish finder, (I've seen some cables like that) requiring you to fish the whole thing through from the aft end of the boat?

Penhook

Cadet
I mounted the transducer close to the drain hole and off the raised part of the floor and now it works fine. The problem was I mounted the fish finder on the dash behind windshield and had to drill the hole for the cable to reach the fish finder. I would have wire power under the dash but did not want to screw up because I have no idea about wiring under there and did not want to do more harm than good. Thanks for the advice guys. This summer I have discovered that I need a bigger boat so probably not try to install any more things on the boat and will try to sell it this spring.