transducer on stepped hull

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice
I was wanting to put my finder on my stratos boat. I was wanting to put it on transom, but it has a stepped design sort of a backwards L<br />shape. and then steps down again about 5".<br /> I was thinking it gets mounted on the lower part, is that correct? thanks Mike <br /> ]

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: transducer on stepped hull

Getting a transducer to work on a stepped hull is a bear. Just about nothing works well when they are under way, but of course anything will work when you are anchored or drifting. Your best bet with a stepped hull is to mount your transducer in-hull right in front of the step. That usually works all the time no matter what the speed. You loose almost nothing power wise but you will have to forgo water temperature and speed. Those can be achieved with a separate sensor of course and y-cables to hook back to the original line are no problem.<br /><br />Thom

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice
Re: transducer on stepped hull

I'm sorry, I am going to have to plead ignorance here. Will that be in the bilge area ? <br /> And probably towards the middle? Can I use the water and clay to try it on the water? <br /> I'm not worried about the temp and speed. I have in dash speedo and finder on my troll motor. I "m also usually not in a big hurry rarely doing over 35 - Thanks for the info. Glad I asked before drilling and mounting mike