Transducer mounting height??

eburka2

Cadet
I am mounting a HB Pirahna 1 transducer and I was wondering if i should mount the bottom of the transducer at the same level as the bottom of the boat or deeper, past the bottom of the boat.<br /><br />Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Transducer mounting height??

I do not know the HB unit but will give you the gereral instructions. To start with the transducer should be12 inches to either side of the engine. With a right hand prop better on the starboard side. Transducer should point straight down and not off to either side. On V hull this means one side of tranducer will be farther below the hull than the other. On the side that is closer to the hull the hull should be even with the center of the transducer. If you put a straight edge on the hull half of the transducer should be below the top of the straight edge and half above. Now this is a good starting place. Also transducer should be a little lower in the back than the front, by 2 or 3 degrees. <br /><br />Before you mount your unit good idea to take boat out and bring it up on plane at a speed you want transducer to work. At that speed go back and look over the transom for green water, no white water. White = AIR and a transducer that is not working.<br /><br />If your boat has a Speedometer pick up this is offten a good place to start. Last thing is you may want to mount a transducer mouting block, see link.<br /> Good luck.<br /><br />Link did not work go to link and type in search at top left "transducer mounting"<br /><br /> http://www.cabelas.com

eburka2

Cadet

Thanks for the help, I have a flat boat so maybe I should have included that. But what I got from your reply is that the transducer should be about half in and half out.<br /><br />Thanks again.

ShearerLuck

Recruit

my understanding is it should be a little below the hull, this way any air bubbles that may come off the back of the boat will not cause interferance with the reading you get. but if you mount it low, make sure if you hit something in the water like a stick or whatever, it will swing up and not break. In the end it's your choice...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, bottom 1/2 or 2/3 of transducer should be below the hull.