Transducer mounting and hole location

HeadnSouth

Seaman
I'd like to run the wire for my transducer thru the transom of my 98 Chaparral. This requires a 3/4" hole for the connection to the chartplotter. I drilled a small pilot hole to see where I'd end up inside, unfortunately I drilled right into my fire extinguisher. (my luck). From the attached pic I thought this would be a good spot. Not knowing how thick the transom would be. Is this location ok?

Last edited:

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks good. Run the transducer wire as far away from other wiring as possible to avoid interference. I would have loved to see a pic of the fire extinguisher mess. I bet that was a load of fun to clean up. Use 3m 5200 for any below waterline sealing needs.

Last edited:

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here is my setup. I forgot to mention that I drilled my at an upwards angle towards the bow. The boat is dirty...

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks good, one suggestion though. Mount your fire extinguisher away from the source of fire in the boat. (motor) It makes it way easier to put out the fire if the extinguisher isn't behind the flames.

HeadnSouth

Seaman
Thanks for the feed back. The extinguisher is located right above and behind the engine. I'll move it slightly once I buy a new one. (ouch) I'd think being its an automatic it should be close to the fire source?
The extinguisher is an older FIREwatch MA2 Automatic Fire Extinguisher. There was no mess at all. The contents shot right out of the hole I drilled.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
the holes required for transducer/connection heads into the units are quite large these days.. mine was a 5/8 drill bit for the Hummingbird 587.. I bought a 5/8 dowel rod. used a small saw to cut a slot in dowel rod, wide and deep enough for the transducer wire to fit nicely with out binding.. pushed that into the hole and sealed with foam, packed that in, then water proof clear calk, clam shell and more calk.. thought it a better idea to not just use all calk in hole that big...

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:lol: yeah it's a good idea to have an auto extinguisher by the motor alright! I see so many guys putting the hand helds right next to the motor.