Transducer Location? - With Photo!

Zenvalo

Seaman
Going to be adding a Garmin Echo 200 to my rig fairly soon here and I was wondering where the best spot to put the transducer would be.

There is already an old bracket from a previous one, but it won't work with the Garmin. I was thinking I'd put it in the same spot only lower so that it's just a bit (1/8" - 1/4") below the bottom of the boat.

The boat itself is 14' 6" Glassmaster Bassmate IV Fiberglass Tri-hull with a 50hp Mercury Thunderbolt 500 if that makes any difference. Feel free to edit the below photo with Microsoft paint or whatever to show where you think would be best.

Thanks a lot everybody!

Transducer.jpg

emoney

Commander
Re: Transducer Location? - With Photo!

That does look a smidgeon high and that's a shame because you can't reuse the holes. Otherwise I think you've got a solid plan. Maybe a tad closer to the motor, off that chine/rib/whatever its called.

Zenvalo

Seaman

I'm guessing that one is so high because it's from probably a late 70's - early 80's tranducer which were a hell of a lot larger than the ones now days. It's a pretty thick transom, so I don't think the current screw holes go all the way through which is nice. Some marine grade silicone and I should be alright!

That's kind of what I was meaning, looking back at the photo the current one is a little more to the right. I was thinking I'd use that flat part of that ridge (not sure the name either), which is just slightly closer to the motor, to line it up level.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Good plan. The flat part of the strake is where I'd start too. You should consider a non-penetrating mount. There's a product for that if you're interested. http://www.sternsaver.com/

NYBo

Admiral

I would go farther from the prop, not closer. I would go just enough outboard to clear the trailer bunk.

BTW, that ridge is called a strake, and you don't want the transducer in line with one.

Zenvalo

Seaman

I'll look into the sternsaver product, thanks for that info! As far as placement, would the right edge of the mount lined up with the left edge out the outer strake make sense then? I know they have to be mounted level, so I figured since the strakes are horizontal to the ground, that would make most sense.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Check out Airmar's installation instructions for transom mount transducers. http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/installation-owners-guide.php Transducer placement is an art, and getting it right the first time is a bit of a crap shoot. Every boat is going to be a little bit different. That's why a non-invasive attachment method can pay big dividends in avoiding a swiss cheese transom.