tranducer mointed to the hull inside the boat

anyone ever mount their transducer to the hull inside under the decking or in the bilge just curious on how it is done and if it works well in the mounting instructions on mine they list this as an option

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: tranducer mointed to the hull inside the boat

Maybe this bump will get you some help.

After 2 years of ours not being attached (flopping around) in the bilge area, I wanted to know a way to test if the transducer was good before trying to mount (epoxy) it.

I also don't know if it should be mounted true to horizontal or flat the boat.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tranducer mointed to the hull inside the boat

I mounted one last year.

1. If you have a cored hull you need to cut a hole through the core to the outside layer. DO NOT cut into the outside layer. You need to remove the core material, usually some kind of foam, so the transducer can be mounted directly to the outer layer of the hull. Most/All transducers can't shoot through the core materil.

2. The transducer needs to be mounted parallel to the bottom (ground), not the hull. Most transducers have some type of rotating mounting cup that makes this step easy.

3. The inner surface of the hull should be a smooth as possible. If it is rough use some course sandpaper to knock it down and smooth it out.

4. You should attach the transducer temporarily using some silicon rubber or similar. Take the boat out and make sure it works etc. Nothing worse than permanently attching a transducer and then not have it work. After proper operation is verified use a more permanent glue. In my case I used 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant - Fast Cure 5200. Don't know if that is the best stuff but I had it left over from replacing the motor in a JetSki and it worked.