trailstar trailer lights

nboater

Seaman Apprentice
Month old Trailstar (Tracker) trailer,left rear trailer light took on water and shorted out light. Obtained new taillight under warranty. Taillight doesn't appear very waterproof where wires enter taillight. Any tips on how to make taillight more waterproof than it seemed to be initially?

James B

Cadet
Re: trailstar trailer lights

I know this is not an answer to you question, but water will usually not short out trailer lights. I have installed some trailer lights that have holes in the bottom of the light housing to allow for the water to drain out of the plastic light housing. Per my experience, the copper contacts corrode over time (years) and cause the bulbs to not make good contact. The light bulbs themselves are air tight, and will not allow water to get to the filament. <br /><br />Have you installed the new light? Does it work? Did the dealership install the light under warranty? I would guess the ground wire of the light housing was loose and finally vibrated loose, causing the light to not have a ground. The trailer bulb has two filaments, and it is very unlikely both would blow at the same time. However, it is possible you had a bad bulb. <br /><br />As far as a way to seal the light, 3M marine sealant will do the job, but I do not think that is/was your problem.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I agree. I have cheapie trailer lights and I've seen them on a foot under water. Corrosion usually gets their contacts.

Bondo

Staff member

Install LEDs,+ Never Think about them Again........... ;)

bbalcer

Seaman

light housings will be open on the bottom for wires to go in. when backing down the ramp the air in the lens will hold pressure and not allow water in the assembly to wreak havoc. make sure the top of the tail lens is not cracked and you shouldn't have any problems.....as long as you don't back your boat at a ramp that is vertical.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Grease the bulbs and grease the contacts.... unplug the lights whenever it is in the water.<br /><br />Bob

nboater

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know what rectangular, LED, submersible taillights will fit on a Tracker Trailstar low profile trailer? And do they have pigtails that will plug into the standard trailer wiring harness plug? Thanks!!

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a look at the below link for some trailer lights right here on iBoats:<br /><br />Trailer Lights<br /><br />Most give dimensions so you can determine if they'll fit on your trailer. Also, be sure to read the descriptions carefully, because some of the ones called "submersible" rely on only a pocket of air to try to keep things dry (and that does not really work) while there are other ones called "waterproof" which have internal sealed modules that really do work.<br /><br />Most (not all) trailer lights require that you splice into any existing wires; they don't come with plug connectors. Where you see a trailer harness supplied there's plugs for connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle, but not usually for the lights - that's why you'll see butt connectors in the pictures. Make sure all splices are waterproof by using adhesive lined shrink tubing over the splice. Good luck.