trailering

knarrman

Cadet
this is going to sound kind of funny but....has anyone ever towed w/ a toyota corolla...have been advised w/ external tranny cooler shouldn't have a prob....even found a custom hitch to fit as well as wiring harness...any opinions

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: trailering

Can't say for yours specifically, but I had a couple of Chevettes and pulled small trailers with both. I wouldn't want to pull anything bigger than a rowboat with it, though. If yours has a clutch, it'll be hard on it at the ramps.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Might be okay for something well under 1,000lb., knarrman, but I don't think I would try to tow anything with a Corolla.

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

knarrman<br />Many years ago I towed a small trailer with a 1300 cc Honda Civic. Guess around 60 hp. Less than 1000 lbs trailer.Four speed manual. As the trailer tucked behind the car, was no problem at 65 mph. Highway mileage without 37 mpg, with small trailer 36 mpg. Air resistance will do more than weight on the interstate. However---going up steep driveway (15% grade)burned out the clutch at 1000 lbs trailer wt. I do not know if an automatic trans will be more forgiving. Be sure to use lower gear uphill, and downhill, a little higher rpm, and a little slower uphill speed would save your trans. The 4 cylinder Toyota motor is bulletproof. Good luck, be happy and enjoy life. Batavier

rwidman

Lieutenant

Get out your owner's manual an look for a section on towing. Also, find the maximum towing weight and stay within that.<br /><br />The Corolla doesn't have a frame so any weight and stress will be borne by the sheet metal.<br /><br />According to this site:<br /> http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/corolla/specs.html <br /><br />the tow rating for a 2005 Corolla is 1500 lb. Don't try this with five passengers and a trunk full of stuff, though! ;)