Trailer with a cover ?

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Towing a 18' Chaparral, with an '08 Pathfinder. I put the cover on whenever there's a threat of rain, even when I pull it around.
But,
It's not perfectly form fitted, it was made for a 20' boat. So it flaps around in the back sides. The wind does push it pretty tight over the bow (I have a 2x4 runner from the tip of the bow, to the windshield), so it seems reasonable it's more wind resistent with it ON over the bow.

I travel 2 hours at highway speeds to the Jersey Beach, so I'm wondering which is better. Towing with the Cover ON or OFF ?;)

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trailer with a cover ?

I don't tow with mine on except maybe surface streets. think the biggest concern is the liability of the cover coming loose. Mine are snap covers though.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

It depends on the cover. Some are not suppose to be trailared. The ones that are trailer able shouldn?t be a problem. Personally I?m like the other poster, I?m afraid it will come off and end up on someone?s windshield.

Last edited:

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the fabric/material of the cover depends weather the drag will increase or decrease.....I towed a 18 foot open bow from up north to FL and think I got better gas mileage with out the cover, it was a cheap walmart cover , the center support kept falling due to heavy cross winds and IMHO, I think it made like a big sail, before and aft of the windshield, I could notice less drag when I finally stopped and took the cover off.

covering, at least it will keep road debris out of it, I say strap it down tight and go

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live less than one mile from the ramp, so I do not cover when I launch there.

That being said, I have a custom made, trailerable cover that we had made before we ever brought the boat home. If we go out of town, it is covered no matter what the weather conditions.

You should be able to take your cover with the boat to a reputable upholsterer and he/she should be able to fit it to your boat.
Mine is reinforced at all rub areas as well as having soft felt like material anywhere it touches the gelcoat. It is rated for up to 70 mph on the road and was guaranteed for five years. It is six years old now and still have not had a single problem with it.

I have seen those "close to fit" covers blow off. I have even seen a couple tear and then beat the bejeebers out of the boat. Not a pretty sight.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

If i am going to trailer more than 30 min i put the cover on. I have a very nice trailerable cover and its made specifically for my boat. I guess i go overboard, but i can keep stuff in the boat and not worry about it blowing out. The cover also keeps the road debry off and it just plan old gives me piece of mind incase of a popup rain shower.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Likewise, we always drive with ours covered. Custom snap cover. Better gas mileage and keeps prying eyes from seeing nice new electronics when we stop for lunch on the way home from a morning of fishing (I usually order a fish sandwich at McDonalds!!).