Trailer Wiring

Auberon

Cadet
After a couple boat launches my new-to-me trailer keeps blowing the trailer fuse in the Jeep, so I checked the wiring and lights and decided to throw it all out and put new wires and lights in.

The old wires rubbed off their insulation at the points where they go inside the frame, and to make things worse, those holes were not drilled and protected with grommets, but just torched and painted over. Pretty sloppy work IMHO, and when I checked another trailer from the same manufacturer, just much younger, those holes where drilled and at least the wires where run through washers. Not perfect, but at least someone had a second thought.

I am thinking now of running all wires outside the frame in wire loom, any pros and cons to that? How did you rewire the trailer?

Auberon

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Wiring

I would go outside as well. I would use cable clamps that have a hole for a screw and attach with a stainless rivet instead of a screw.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go outside as well. I would use cable clamps that have a hole for a screw and attach with a stainless rivet instead of a screw.
agreed and theres nothing wrong with using loom

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The problem with running loom outside the tubing is that it traps moisture and it leaves you open to possible road damage.

When I rewired my trailer I got rid of that cheap flat cable and ran a good 3 conductor cable down each side. I used a waterproof conduit box mounted on the tongue to terminate all the wiring with the main harness that ran out to the vehicle. Where the cable passed thru the frame I slid a short piece of rubber hose over the cable and used RTV to secure it in place.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with Dingbat. Ditch the flat ribbon cable and use a good sheathed exterior cable and you will never have another problem. I'd keep the wires inside the frame too. Here is an example of the kind of wire I always use. I'm sure you can find it locally, I just googled to show an example.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-trw~146C500-1.htm

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can find it home depot or lowes or most any hard ware store

Auberon

Cadet

Thanks to all.... job done, lights are working again. Ran a Y harness through the frame, instead of U harness as before. All wires in loom, so no more blown fuses (hopefully).

Now i have like ten 20A fuses left over, mini size, purchased at a sunday-morning-gas-station-premium :eek: in my glove box...anyone? :D

Auberon