trailer wheel

lkempf

Cadet
The wheel on one side of my tailer is angled inward at the top like this \ Is this a bent axle?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: trailer wheel

The axle is either bent or the wheel is very loose. Possibly bearings shot.

wicked

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The axle is either bent or the wheel is very loose. Possibly bearings shot.

best thing to do is jack up the side of the trailor and grab ( top and bottom) of the wheel and try to move it. it should have very little movement or none at all. but it does sound like a bearing gone bad !

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

My wheel had an angle like that but the bearings were perfect. The axle had corroded at the spring and the metal was fatigued enough to allow it to bend. :eek:

I made my own axle with parts from eastern marine and a 1/4" wall steel tube.

The wheels are perfectly straight again.

lkempf

Cadet

I moved the wheel in and out and it felt like the bearings had just little bit of play. So i guess i am going to have to take the wheel off and look further.

Sinko

Seaman

how'd you end up with your problem? I have a wheel doing the samething. Seems to be getting worse. I'm having brakes installed next week and don't want to be caught off guard with a major issue. The suspension is torsion (I think that is the term) not leaf spring. When I had the boat off, everything went staright again. Both sides have a little play if I push and pull but not much. Onyl one side angles.